banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
buzzard

Default The Highwaymen & Lightfoot

Last night on PBS they ran a concert from 1990 of the Highwaymen. As you may recall, the Highwaymen was an incredible group of stars – Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, all playing together. This show is an absolute must see.

That program also got me thinking. These guys were all slightly older contemporaries of Gordon Lightfoot. Johnny and Waylon passed away. Willie is on hiatus from a tour due to illness. Makes me feel really grateful that Lightfoot is still touring and I can still attend.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: The Highwaymen & Lightfoot

Well said Brian

I watched the same show recently and had similar thoughts. Lizanne and I were looking up all their ages while the show was on. I think our boy could have walked up to a mic and fit right in. We are blessed that we can still catch him live in a wide variety of venues.

One thing we can be sure of is, whatever happens, they will never search for a new lead singer for The Gordon Lightfoot Band.

Peace,
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I always seem to mix up The Highwaymen with another great "supergroup' The Travelling Wlburys

The Traveling Wilburys in 1988
Top: Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty
Bottom: Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison

In fact when I read this thread I immediately went to youtube to refind a live recording of the Highwaymen that I had previously enjoyed but could not find the particular one I was thinking of, which is actually one by the Wilburys who have several excellent videos on youtube including
and their "true history of"
As for Waylon he was famously the replacement bass player on the last fateful tour of the Crickets and the loser in a coin toss for a seat on Buddy Holly's ill fated charter plane flight in February 1959 the "day the music died"
I have a very nice Holly Tribute CD on which Waylon did a superb cover of one Buddy's final batch of new songs "Learning the Game"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
buzzard

Yes, the Highwaymen and the Wilburys were two incredible supergroups.

I had heard the story about Waylon Jennings, Buddy Holly and the day the music died, but had forgotten it. Funny how things worked out.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
joveski

Del Shannonwas asked to replace Roy for their 2nd album, but unfortunately he committed suicide, so they went as a 4 piece for that one. (which sounds like a bunch of outtakes from the solo careers of that time), but still one of my favourite bands (Wilburys, that is)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote