banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls
Default Minneapolis Show ~

Can one embellish on the term perfection? That is the description of the Minneapolis
Show. Gord had complete command of the show, and of his voice. It sounded VERY good, and at times he really summoned up the strength and power behind the voice that we know from long ago.

He was in very fine form and looked GREAT!!!!! Sometimes while looking at him from the audience, he looked just like the Gord of yesteryear.....especially when you're this old and don't have binoculars. LOL!!

He seemed very much relaxed and chatted quite a bit with the crowd, many of whom were shouting out requests, but cheering and clapping no matter what song he came up with.
He seemed SO much better physically than last year.

It was a WONDERFUL concert. The time seemed to just fly by, but he sang well over 2 hours.

What an amazing man Gord is. He has taught us all to live with, and work though all the circumstances that life may bring us, and then to embrace them as opportunities, and to move on. He has moved on. He has perservered. Kudos!!!

Oh the set list....... Ron, I have them (all except one) but need to decipher what I wrote.
Will post those tomorrow.....what I have, I'm sure there are many that can fill in where I lost track.

It was so nice to meet many of you last night. Always said that Gord's fans are the best!

Last edited by louisemnnpls; 09-23-2007 at 10:19 PM.
louisemnnpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Dakota Rose

Default Re: Minneapolis Show ~

I also was at the Minneapolis concert and agree...it was wonderful! We were in row A so had great seats! The set list for Minneapolis as I have it:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14 Karat Gold
Never To Close
Painter Passing Through
In My Fashion
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon Of Darkness
Sundown
Watchman's Gone

Intermission

Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
Don Quixote
Clouds of Loneliness
Waiting For You
Make Way For The Lady
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step Back
Restless
Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Encore:

Blackberry Wine
Old Dan's Records
Dakota Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Gitchigumee

I was at the Minneapolis concert on Saturday night. It was my second trip to the State Theatre in two years, and my third Lightfoot concert in 4 days. What an experience the past week has been!

After arriving in Minneapolis (about 3 hours from home) and driving through three (yes 3) parking ramps but that's a whole other story, my husband and I finally found a hotel that had a room downtown (none other than the Hilton). What a gorgeous hotel, one of the nicest if not the nicest one I've ever stayed in. After checking in, we needed to get a bite to eat and so we strolled down toward Starbucks where Louisemnnpls and I had pre-arranged a meeting prior to the show. We grabbed sandwiches and ate them on an outdoor patio and watched the people and street life as we ate. Fascinating, since I'm not from the big city. And what a beautiful September evening it was. I kept thinking to mysef, I wonder if Gord and the guys ever venture out prior to a performance, just to get some fresh air. I had just met the guys the evening before in Rochester, and so I had my eagle eye out for anyone (truck driver, Gord's manager Barry, the guitar tech guy or any of the band members), just in case. So my husband and I finish our meal and decide to stroll around before meeting up with Louise. We're walking down the street and who should I see coming our way???? Rick Haynes. This was the one band member who had really made an impression on me the night before, and so I approached him saying "Hi Rick! Remember me from last night?!" He said yes, and was trying to recall my name which was on the tip of his tongue. Well anyway I was able to introduce my husband to Rick (who thought Rick was one of you internet people!!) When it finally dawned on my husband who we were talking to, he was pretty amazed. I just can't get over how friendly Rick is and how easy he is to talk to. As we parted, I said "See ya at 8:00!" He smiled and waved goodbye.

Next we headed over to Starbucks and I'm up at the counter picking up my cappucino and there's this teeny tiny woman who fits Louise's description, and then when I see someone who fits her husband's description, I'm sure it's her. So I say, "Are you Louise?" and she says "Yes" and so I introduce myself and then we greet with a hug. What a sweetheart you are Louise.

We got our beverages and had a seat at a table, and lo and behold, in walks Seafarer (whom I recognized from meeting him the night before), his sister, and MnMouse. We get to talking fast and furious, and we're laughing and having a good ole' time, and I'm thinking to myself, we're gonna get thrown outta here 'cuz people are trying to sit quietly, have some coffee, and read. Oh well, we were having fun.

Later, Louise and hubby and me and hubby walked to the concert together, and I told Louise that I thought our husbands (who were walking ahead of us) looked like a couple of old hippies. Probably because they ARE a couple of old hippies. What characters.

On to the concert. Gord sounded great, and during intermission I was looking around for Claudia but she wasn't in her pit area seat, and so I'm walking around back to my seat, and who should I run into again? Seafarer, who was standing smack dab in the middle of the center aisle talking to none other than the elusive Claudia & husband and blocking the path for all the people trying to move up and down the aisle. Of course I joined in the conversation. Seafarer is right, I think those around us who overheard our conversation were thinking-- what kind of nuts are they? What a blast!

The 2nd half of the concert went just as well as the first half had gone, and I was very very happy to hear Alberta Bound for the first time live and in concert! I was also really happy to hear CRT again as he had not played it the night before.

I'm sure there's much more I'm forgetting to share. The night was bittersweet for me, because it was to be my last Lightfoot concert of the 3 I attended, but suffice it to say, it was a great evening, Gord's performance was mesmerizing, and meeting the fellow Corfidians was, as they say, absolutely priceless! What great people.

I will hopefully have a couple of pictures to share, and will get them posted as soon as I can. Thank you Louise, Seafarer, MnMouse, Claudia, for including me in your special group. And thank you, Gordon Lightfoot. It's all because of you!!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 09-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
mnmouse

Nice recaps of the concert on Saturday - I enjoyed meeting Seafarer62, Louise, Gitch and Claudia very much. It was a great show, Gord sounded good and he looked even better. Smiling, joking and happy. Here's a shot from Saturday night, just click on it for a larger image:

Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Gitchigumee

Here's some photos to go along with my earlier post.

Lobby at the Hilton in downtown Minneapolis:

Louise and I just before the concert (she's the little one ):

Here's a couple shots from the concert, kinda blurry:

And one last shot, of the downtown Minneapolis skyline. It was a magical night:

"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."

Last edited by Gitchigumee; 09-28-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
jj

wonderful pic, Sharron...thanks for sharing, it SO captures the contentment of the 'new' Gord

glad you all met up and even more glad you guys shared some of the memories of the eve

would love to see Gitch pics also in full form ...click to enlarge? if it were only that easy, heh
jj is offline   Reply With Quote