banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Aime_41

Alas, our poor computer is ailing again. It must be the owners (this one in particular)
, that bring on these bouts of poor health.
John, I would love to take part in your group, but am in almost the same position, as last year at this time, when we fell right off the radar. We have an AOL account
and tried the AOL "self-fix" remedy, have checked all the browser settings over and over, have checked the internet settings, the security settings, all to no avail. Help!
I know, my computer iliteracy is showing,
but does anyone have a suggestion? Would be eternally grateful. Cannot get into any secure sites at all.

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
Aime_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
violet Blue Horse

Do you have virus software installed? Do you have a spyware sweeping program installed? Spyware can slow a computer down to a crawl and cause it to refuse to shut down or open up properly and can cause error messages, and not all virus software or every version of it checks for spyware.

AOL software can also be very eh, proprietary and sometimes down right vicious. During my unfortuante years with AOL I found that sites I could not access through AOL I could access by minimizing AOL and bringing up either Explorer or Mozilla's browser.

quote:Originally posted by Aime_41:
Alas, our poor computer is ailing again. It must be the owners (this one in particular)
John, I would love to take part in your group, but am in almost the same position, as last year at this time, when we fell right off the radar. We have an AOL account
and tried the AOL "self-fix" remedy, have checked all the browser settings over and over, have checked the internet settings, the security settings, all to no avail. Help!
but does anyone have a suggestion? Would be eternally grateful. Cannot get into any secure sites at all.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Do you have virus software installed? Do you have a spyware sweeping program installed? Spyware can slow a computer down to a crawl and cause it to refuse to shut down or open up properly and can cause error messages, and not all virus software or every version of it checks for spyware.

AOL software can also be very eh, proprietary and sometimes down right vicious. During my unfortuante years with AOL I found that sites I could not access through AOL I could access by minimizing AOL and bringing up either Explorer or Mozilla's browser.

Violet,

Yes, to all of the above. Also, the latest problems occurred after AOL attempted to make upgrades to our program. It even gave me a warning, that we might have to go in and reset the browser to it's former settings. As far as I can figure, I have done this. Am still working on it. Have to keep reading the "Help" suggestions in windows, and this could take some time, from the way it looks now.

About the Spyware....yes, had installed it and then thought I had uninstalled it, could that still be a part of the problem??

Thanks for your suggestions.....appreciate them. The computer works fine, it's just a few secure sites that I can't access, like
(naturally) some of the ones that I want to right now.

------------------
"Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call; Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen, till they've heard it all." - GL
Old 02-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
Aime_41

quote:Originally posted by Aime_41:

Just for the record....we have nursed the computer back to health.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Harmony

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:

Maybe that explains why a computer will be running fine for a few days, and then a few days later it slows waaaaay down, and when someone comes to fix it they run fine again for awhile (this sort of thing would happen at school)
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Harmony

actually, I heard my mom once say that it could be the government or someone spying on us, and their connected to all your files, and thats what makes it so slow. I wish i were a geek or at least knew a geek so I could get them to give those govermnent people a virus every time they tried to spy on us.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote