View Single Post
Old 02-17-2001, 11:28 AM   #2
young stranger

I have thought a lot about this subject since Gord's Gold is what got me into Gord's music. Since then, I have listened to all the original versions and I agree with you on some and disagree on others.

GG: These versions are in general an attempt to make the songs a bit more sophisticated. I think they are more in the style of the albums Gord was making at the time, like Sundown and Summertime Dream (COTS is in the middle there, but I think the feel is a little different). The original versions are all more folk sounding, almost like just a guy with his guitar (which is a nice sound by the way).

SONG FOR A WINTER'S NIGHT - This is one of my favorites and I have to say that I like the new one better. He makes it sound more like a song for the holidays, which I like. And I really like the change in the vocals for the last two lines.
CRT - Hard to say you don't like any version of this one. I like the slower second part of this version.
STEEL RAIL BLUES - Also one of my favorites and I like this version a lot. The original is good too.

GG2 - Definitely not as good all around as Gord's Gold, but there are some highlights.

High And Dry - I really can't listen to this version, but I think people who liked Gord's hits enough to buy just a couple of albums like Sundown and Summertime Dream (probably mostly for Sundown, Carefree Highway, and The Wreck), know this song and like it (my parents are in this group).
The Wreck - Both versions are very good. What I like about this new version is that it sounds more dark and eerie.
Christian Island - I definitely prefer the original. This one sounds better played as simply as possible.
Cherokee Bend - I love this song and I wish I could combine some features of both versions. I think you can hear the lead guitar between verses much better in the new recording and it sounds fabulous. In the original, those parts sound a bit muffled. I only wish Gord had sung it a little clearer.

You might check your preference on Make Way (For The Lady) and Baby Step Back. The last four songs on GG2, which are the two just mentioned plus Ghosts of Cape Horn and It's Worth Believin' are not new versions. They were tacked on from the original recordings.
young stranger is offline   Reply With Quote