View Single Post
Old 12-24-2000, 11:08 AM   #3
Sheila Ann

Merry Christmas to you, too, Florian!
Well spoken response to the situation of late of the totally tasteless postings by persons who obviously are hiding behind anonymity. I am almost certain they would not have the nerve to speak in such a manner in a face to face setting. I am an advocate of free speech but it is your site and you do have the right to make rules and limitations. Those who choose to play by the rules can post and those who don't can be banished. End of story!
This is a remarkably enjoyable site and I have learned so much. Before I found this site I was a "closet fan"...people I knew thought I was a little off the wall for continuing to follow such a has-been (their words, not mine). Funny thing about that is that Lightfoot's music is timeless while my friends can't remember who they were "into" two years ago! Before I came to this site, I had a solid knowledge of Lightfoot's actual music but very little insight as to the wherefore or the why. Being able to read the personal experiences of many who have actually been close to the man has been great. Watching the varied opinions of other fans has been fun, too.
That said...of the options you have presented so far, I would have to go with number b.-complimentary registration. It seems to allow the same freedom that is currently here except that YOU have some control. If I am correct, you can block postings by offensive posters. Perhaps registrants could be given the option of having their email address displayed or not. The registered folks in good standing can still post at will and they can throw out topics for discussion.
Please don't take away the heart of this site...the discussion forums and the guestbook. Without those it's just another info site with no real life.
Again...Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote