View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 03:01 AM   #7
MatthewBullis

For me, it was my mother's love for the music. She has always loved his music. I am 25 now, and didn't like the music when I was younger, because, in my young days, I can't believe I actually liked the dance music we now a days call pop music. These days, I wouldn't listen to that music at all. My brother used to, and still does, call Gordon "Gordon Lighthead," and I have to confess that I might have done once or twice years ago. However, I think that even without my mother's love of his music, that I would've found Gord's music eventually, because of my tendancy to listen to acoustic and folk music. My mother doesn't really listen to any folk music, and Gordon is really the only folk artist she listens to. I've always loved acoustic music, and that is why I've enjoyed the acoustic Bob Dylan and stuff like David Mallett and John Prine. I play a variety of acoustic instruments, such as guitar and banjo, and whatever else I can get my hands on, including harmonica. The same situation happened with my dad and his country music. I didn't like country music at all, worse than I didn't like Gord back then. Now, I'll listen to old country along with everything else. There's a post I wrote a year or so ago about dad and I going to see Ray Price. When I moved out here to Phoenix where he lives, I got him into collecting records after he got into the record collecting hobby, when he found out how easy it is to get old country lp's that you can't find on cd. In fact, right now, I've got some Conway Twitty on the turntable. But watch out! I can switch from Hank Senior to Metallica in a second, then back to Gord, and then to foot-stomping bluegrass.
Matthew