View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
charlene

Default Re: PLANS OF MY OWN - new tune! - listen here-LINK

https://www.thespec.com/whatson-stor...enue-basement/

1 / 2
Bob Doidge was rummaging through the basement of Grant Avenue Studio a couple of months ago when he came across dozens of recordings made by Gordon Lightfoot 20 years ago.

Most were outtakes from the 1996 album "A Painter Passing Through," which Lightfoot recorded at Grant Avenue with Doidge as co-producer. There were also the master tapes for the album and a little gem of a long-forgotten song called "Plans of My Own."

It never made the album, but probably should have.

So Doidge, owner of Grant Avenue, phoned up Lightfoot's manager in Toronto and asked what he should do with all this tape.

Lightfoot got back to him and told him to destroy it all. Lightfoot, like many artists, doesn't like subpar outtakes hanging around.

I said, 'Well, Gord, I can't throw three of the rolls away, because they're the Painter album … and there's a song down there which blew me away. I sing it to myself all the time. I can't throw that song out."

"Which song?" Lightfoot asked.

"Plans of My Own," Doidge replied.

"Did I ever finish that?" Lightfoot asked.

"As far as I'm concerned you did," Doidge replied.

The track, a sentimental song about moving on to new things, was recorded solo, just Lightfoot singing while fingerpicking his 12-string acoustic guitar. It's classic Lightfoot, with a hummable melody. His voice is strong and his guitar playing fluid.

Lightfoot asked Doidge to send him a copy. Doidge, with the help of sound engineer Amy King, dutifully mixed it and sent it on. Lightfoot loved it and passed it on to his record label, Warner, in Los Angeles.

They liked it, too. On Friday, Nov. 18 Warner is releasing "Plans of My Own" as a digital single, available on streaming services.

"Plans of My Own" is the first new Lightfoot music in 12 years, and its release is planned to coincide with the kickoff of the 77-year-old songwriter's upcoming Ontario tour which includes four shows at Toronto's Massey Hall, Nov. 23-26, and one in Kitchener at Centre in the Square on Nov. 17.

Warner is also re-releasing the 1976 Gordon Lightfoot album "Summertime Dream" on 180-gram vinyl on Nov. 25. "Summertime Dream" has been expanded to include the track "Betty Called Me In" that was left off the original album. The song, however, was included on the 1999 collection "Songbook."

grockingham@thespec.com

905-526-3331 | @RockatTheSpec
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote