View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
jj

Default Re: Lightfoot songwriting seminar last night

i really do love Catherines teeth, truly

wonderful seeing char, lisa, kenyon and lovely sidekick once again...the theme diverted from songwriting many times but as Downie more or less said, I just loved being in that space

i may have already made this comment in another thread but Catherine has the Karen Carpenter look and gentleness with a Gillian Welch delivery...i was nervous for her but she pulled off the GL tune nicely, a tasty, simple and flowing arrangement with solemnly delivered and naturally phrased vocals...the ensuing Gord hug was a lovely moment...unfortunately that image and the many many facial and hand mannerisms made by both Gords (as we all know, Lightfoot mannerisms paint a thousand words) will be a void in the CBC audio broadcast

looking forward to the signature char recap...i have a few more thoughts

that arrangement of Shadows plus the Let It Ride closing segment work that Rick did on the neck of the bass while Terry was adding to colour with his plucking of harmonics, really sounded superb in that outstanding hall...and well, yes, the seats were pretty good too

i found the stripped down Downie renditions very captivating, especially some of those chord constructions...his poetic intro and then delivery of Mo(u)rning Moon for the McGarrigles had me wide eyed and even wider eared

he did well very well without the full Hip backing...the only thing that would have made the eve of banter more Canadian would be if Downie said he felt like he was playing with ’hockey’ gloves on

btw, Sylvia Tyson looked really well

Last edited by jj; 02-08-2010 at 06:41 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote