View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #24
lighthead2toe

Default Orillia 80th Birthday Concert Nov 17th, 2018

Dear friends,

Words are most difficult to be found in order to effectively describe the journey that this monumental event entailed.
One very dedicated and jet lagged Gordon Lightfoot fan, Peter, accepted our offer and arrived from Germany at approximately 11PM on the Friday night (the night before the the Orillia concert). He was greeted by "Marian form the Mountains," our little dog, "Pussywillow" (aka LaRue) and yours truly.
The dog just loved him and the love was reciprocated.

Although we'd never met before, connecting with folks such as Peter, a huge fan who's into the Lightfoot music creates such a powerful means of communication, the bond just seems to form automatically.

I've seen this happen many times before over the years and it never ceases to amaze me the powerful medium this music really does possess. It's a wonderful experience and having the opportunity to share it with others who appreciate it to this degree is a joy all on it's own.

Peter managed to secure a ticket for the concert and from there things just fell into place. So following a good night's sleep and a little "pick me up" breakfast we're off to the quaint little Ontario town of Whitby to pick up Charlene and daughter, Lisa and, as carefree as we can be, we're on the highway to Orillia, Ontario, the place where it alll began 80 years ago. We are here to celebrate a most memorable occasion.
It's Gordon Lightfoot's 80 birthday which also coincides with the number of concerts he's performed this year.
Now, thats a strategy that would involve some very creative planning. The Lightfoot way you might say.

Coming along the highway as we approach Orillia we pull over for a stop off at Tudhope Park for a few pics of the statues created by sculptor, Timothy Schmalz to commemorate the works of Gordon Lightfoot. It's a bright sunny day and they stand proud there in the frozen Orillia ground.

Peter was so thrilled with this the cold didn't seem to bother him. But it's only the beginning. He's learning all things Canadian quickly, like our traffic lights are called "set of lights" and what a "double double" means when it comes to ordering coffee at Tim Horton's. He's also developed a fondness for the blueberry muffins they sell there.

Following our check in at the old reliable "Maples Motel" we head up Mississaga Street and stop in at the "Hog and Penny" for a bevy and a bite to eat. The Hog and Penny is one of several establishments that hosts Lightfoot Tribute entertainers who perform during the festivities celebrating "all things Gord" so the vibe is hot and the spirits are riding high.
From there we head to the Opera House as Peter is quite excited about taking photos while there is still some daylight time available.
We arrive at the same time Gord's keyboard player, Mike Heffernan was opening the hatch of his vehicle to get his gear out for the soundcheck and Mike was kind enough to greet us and give time for a few pics.

Then it's off to "Alleycats," a well known musical establishment on Mississaga Street. Alleycats has a giant birthday card with many birthday greetings and we give ours as well. The Alleycat folks know Char so we end up taking the card with us back to the Opera House where we're greeted by the always very elegant "Kim Lightfoot" who ensures us that the card will get to Gord.

During the concert Gord talked about the giant card and gave thanks to everyone.
It was a straight ninety minute performance with no intermission and together with his well seasoned band they breezed their way through to the full enjoyment of a sold out crowd of dedicated fans, many of whom were Gord's immediate family.

Char and Lisa are in the process of putting together photos, videos, etc. for the enjoyment of all.

Following the concert there was a meet and greet which gave Peter the opportunity to have a photo taken with Gord and the band members as well. He was quite overwhelmed with the whole event.

Following our return to Toronto we make a visit to the Rosedale area as Peter is anxious to see Gord's old Victorian mansion and take a few pics. The home has been completely renovated and together with several adjacent homes it's now owned by a lady who lives in Los Angeles.
We spoke with a gentleman working there who was a cousin of the owner lady. Unfortunately we had to cut the discussion short as a construction crew needed access to the area and we had to give up our parking spot.

The house is beautiful though and and still has it's "Lightfoot" character. I always said Gord belongs in that house. It's "The House you Live In." It enters my thoughts at times while listening to those beautiful ballads we were introduced to during that magical era.

All in all it was an extended weekend event that went by so quickly as they all seem to do but we sure made the best of it.
I had never seen Gord perform in the Orillia Opera House before and it was the one thing I had always longed for so to have been able to attend this once in lifetime event for me was an experience like non other.
The emotional mileage is measured in moments of ongoing joy.
To Gord: "Thanks for helping make the lives of so many so much better."

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 11-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote