View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Stompin' Tom releases 50th album !

The movie is called "Across This Land." The Stomper's road manager at the time was a friend who I had the pleasure of working with in Toronto during those years and he called me to ask if there was some way to muster up a group of folks who drank beer and were willing to show up at 7:30 pm for two consecutive nights at the Horseshoe Tavern, wear the same clothing and sit in the same spot for those two nights.
Mission accomplished. Labatts brewery supplied the beer and everyone drank their fill.
What a party and there are plenty of stories to be told!
The movie didn't do well at the box office and Tom sold off the rights to the TV networks.
It was unfortunate though as now to this day it's virtually impossible to watch that movie on TV without having to pay for it in some way.
Not that Tom has to worry now but it's tough to see a guy who worked so hard get a bad break.
The friend who gave me the call was Joe (aka "Big Joe Mufferaw"). He passed away a little over a year ago and his photo is on the cover of Stompin Tom's album "Stompin Tom Meets Big Joe Mufferaw."
Joe was a great guy and a true friend and I miss him dearly. I still stay at his place when I travel to Toronto. JJ and I were in Joe's living room one day playing a few tunes together and Joe came in to join us.
Even some history here as "JJ Meets Big Joe Mufferaw."
If I recall there is a restaurant on the outskirts of Ottawa called "Big Joe Mufferaws."
Cheers to all. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote