View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
jj

Default Re: earlier demo recording of Too Much To Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
Amazing difference. I kind of like his raw singing on the first version better
same here...i prefer the lower key/pitch of the original

he decided to move it up a notch in the later version (Bb, originally A)

i don't understand all the fuss with capo movement, cos i'd say Gord had a big enough range to be able to still sound great (perhaps not optimal) if he'd played Sundown in E or IYCRMM in G... anyhow, changing keys on piano has brought much mental stimulation, you just hope muscle memory doesn't take over, lol

interesting except from 2008, American Songwriter:

"...Lightfoot feels fortunate that all of his session players over the years have been willing to overlook the fact that he plays nearly everything on the guitar with a capo at the second fret, a move that allows him to stay in vocal range, but forces his sidemen to play in awkward keys.

“I could never come to terms with the fact that I would have to walk into a recording studio and tell a guitar player to get ready to play in the key of F# or the key of B. I was embarrassed about that,” he admits. “I once had to ask Vassar Clements if he could please tune his fiddle down a half tone so I could play a song in E flat,” he says incredulously. “And he just did it! He just tuned ‘er down and away we went.”

Last edited by jj; 11-02-2011 at 09:25 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote