View Single Post
Old 06-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Seeing you just bought two earlier albums, you are probably a bit overexposed to his music at this point. My suggestion would be to put Harmony away for awhile and enjoy Back Here On Earth and Salute for a month or so. Listen to them until you don't want to listen anymore. Then dig Harmony out. Develope an appreciation for each CD, then move on to the next.

I think you might have hit the nail on its head Cathy. I recall thst in about 1974 after I got Sundown I felt rather saturated with Gord.I had listened by then to little else for a good seven years. from then on I started paying more attention to what was going on in other musical streams such as The Eagles Linda Rondstadt, Elton John and Fleetwood Mac to mention a few. and even though I went through the motions of eagerly seeking out each new GL release I tended just to copy to an audio cassette to play for a few days in the car then move on again. Hence the full appreciation of the later albums like EOM Salute etc had to wait until 1999 when with my initiation into the world of the internet and in particular the chat room and the issue of the songbook box-set I got strongly hooked again I am now therefore into my fifth year of almost total GL immersion. As far as Harmony is concerned I am quite sure that no new GL album has (certainly not since Don Quixote)appealed to me so completely right from the start. I did manage to restrain myself initially to only downloading Inspiration Lady from itunes. and I then made a one-track CD from it which found itself on repeat for very long periods which is probably why it is definitely my favo(u)rite track and way up there in my personal top ten still. So don't worry Duncan just keep enjoying your other recent acquisitions (have you got the Bear Family Lightfoot/The Way I Feel double CD yet By The Way)??
All the best young man

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited June 02, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote