View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #2
Rob1956

I don't know if there is anyone in particular that Gord wrote the song for. A lot of women have come into and out of his life over the years. I think it has to do with love on two levels. One, the more subtle, those feelings that finding the "right one" brings that are difficult to express verbally. Most of us have entered into a relationship where feelings become very deep, and putting those feelings into words is a very difficult, if not impossible task. On a more raw level, those same emotions and feelings can have a more primitive aspect. Perhaps Gord was writing about physical or sexual thoughts that are as much a part of such a relationship. The line: "...what a tale my thoughts could tell"
say quite a bit in a very Lightfootesque understated way. If you pick apart some of the lyrics you can glean quite a few double meanings. For instance, "...when you reach the part where the heartaches come, the hero would be me" and "for now, love, let's be real..." he seems to be equating an emotional relationship to a play, where people are expected to fill pre-determined roles but to go above that and "be real". There is also a reference to "...enter, number two"...sounds like a stage direction in a play, dosen't it?
If you really look at it, this is a far more
complex song that what usually winds up in the Top 10 on the Billboard charts, huh?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote