View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #1164
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: GL Lyrics fan(atics) fun quizzers and more !

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
To the sunset you can see it, all in fiery autumn dress
It seems - ONLY Lightfoot can convey the entire image, feel, sights, sounds, fragrance of Autumn, feel of the leaves crunching underfoot, etc. - an entire Autumn sunset painting given life and legs by The Man, with blazing beautful leaves quite that way - unbelievable, yes- genius, but more than sheer intellect - the gift of song writing which knows no intellect as a pre-requisite - but Lightfoot's particular brand of genius has been observed many times in corfid - his powerful command of the English language as we've commented here and there,................

he has to be a well-read man,
Well said Steve
But Well read??
Maybe maybe not
A couple of years ago I was bitterly disapointed after I had given Gord a specially found second hand copy of one of my favourite non fiction books
"The River That God Forgot" by Richard Collier

Please see my earlier posting at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...t=river+forgot
This superbly written book describes the activities of the Amazon rubber barons at the beginning of the 20th century,a book that I felt would appeal to Gordon because it is largely set in Manaus, yes "Mann-owse" the Brazilian city he had visited and found "The No Hotel" in.
In the hotel the morning after I had given him the book I tried to stress that I hoped he would enjoy it but he calmly responded by saying something like
"But I don't read books"!!

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-15-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: refined the text
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote