Thread: John Stockfish
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
jj

Default Re: John Stockfish

thanks for the posting, moose dog....condolences to his many loved ones

i got a warm feeling reading this section of an GL interview/article that char posted months back:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
early 1965. "The first Massey Hall show I ever played was put on by a concert promoter named Johnny Bassett, whose father owned the television station CFTO and was publisher of the [long-defunct] Toronto Telegram newspaper. Johnny had heard me play at Steele's Tavern and the Riverboat, and he and [Riverboat owner] Bernie Fiedler cooked up an idea to put me in here. I thought about it for a couple of days, and said sure. For the past three or four years I'd been playing bars and coffee houses, but at that moment Peter, Paul & Mary had a hit going with my song 'For Lovin' Me,' so to my surprise I was able to sell out the show without having an album yet."

Lightfoot continues, "I remember the night vividly. I had just gotten my trio together with [guitarist] Red Shea and [bassist] John Stockfish and we were full of ideas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i am glad Lenny recruited Stockfish for his work on Sundown, COTS and GG1... besides 'Sundown', does anyone know all the specific songs he played on in those studio sessions?

this wonderful footage (char posted this gem recently!) shows Stockfish just before he relocates to Nashville...as Ron said, although the collaborations ended long ago, this truly marks the end of a glorious era...

"side men come out first, John Stockfish bass guitar...." (The Guess Who)

photo from www.lightfoot.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stockfish.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	5333  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote