Thread: GL's guitar's
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
lighthead2toe

Default Re: GL's guitar's

My kind of topic guys and I hope I can provide some help.

From the first time I heard Gordon Lightfoot strum out that intro to "Early Morning Rain" on his Gibson B45 12 string I was sold on those guitars. To me there's nothing can capture that sound and I can listen to it over and over as is with the intro to "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy."

That sound was created with his tool of trade and it's the Gibson B45 that does it with the ultimate of effectiveness and brings it out like no other 12 string guitar sound could capture.

It took me a long time and with heart rendering research to find them but I am very lucky to have two, and they are my babies, and if at all possible they travel with me.

Going to music stores, pawn shops, or any place where guitars are available for playing and just hanging out is one of my favorite things to do and that gives many opportunities to hear lots of quality instruments.

To find a Gibson B45 of any quality to speak of in a store would be a real stroke of luck. You'd probably have better luck at a garage sale.

From what I have discovered many of them did not not turn out that well and I turned down a few even when I started out looking back in the 70's in Toronto, so be careful if you see one that might look like nice as the sound might not be what you'd expect.

When these topics come up I tend to get lost in them and it sometimes becomes necessary for the stop sign to go out, so I'll round it out by saying that if ever my B45s should for whatever reason be no longer available, I would, and recommend to eagle 670 that you try the "Larrivee" 12 string. It would be my choice.
That guitar produces a very beautiful sound. Rich and quite unique and the price is reasonable enough.

I also love the "Guild," which was the fav of John Denver.

I would also like to mention that the " Fishman Matrix Natural II is the one that I have installed in my Martin D18, and from what I gather it's also the same one that Gord has in his D18. (got a hot tip on that one)
Cheers, Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote