View Single Post
Old 07-09-2000, 06:01 PM   #18
LouiseAnne

National Geographic Magazine did an article on The Great Lakes many years ago and surprisingly, the Edmund Fitzgerald was mentioned. There was even a photograph of it. (Sorry, guys, I couldn't even BEGIN to tell the date of that issue. I came across it by accident.) But the interesting thing about it was the article stated that of all the speculation that has been done about the ship, Gord's song is the closest the Coast Guard, et al has been able to come to the truth of what really happened. Kind of interesting.

I was surprised to read that one of you heard that it had collided with another ship. I'm sure that's possible, but you'd kind of think Gord might have put that in his song. He just says, "At seven p.m. the main hatchway caved in ...." If he knew that it happened at seven p.m., then he would probably have known if they collided with another ship.

Also in the Discovery Channel special, they made no mention of a collision. According to them, the Edmund Fitzgerald and another ship were making the same trip and the other ship made it to safety. The two captains were communicating back and forth across the radio and the last communication the other ship received from the Edmund Fitzgerald was "We're okay."

Kind of gives you shivers, doesn't it?

If you get a chance to see that Discovery Channel special, make it a must-see. It was REALLY good.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest