View Single Post
Old 05-12-2000, 12:25 AM   #68
2Much2Lose

Jay,
What a beautiful story!

My current favorite premiered on Songbook, "Too Much To Lose," and in particular, the lyric "the dustcloud on the edge of town is me."

But it's probably my favorite because the newly released oldies on Songbook allowed me to travel back to the early Lightfoot years and hear his great lyrics sung when he still had a great voice. Not that I mind his current voice, but time has taken somewhat of a toll.

More objectively, "Beautiful" is my alltime favorite, "IYCRMM" I could listen to forever, and my favorite song when I'm driving a long distance is "Alberta Bound" (even if I'm headed the other direction).

Although I loved IYCRMM, when that song came out I rarely shelled out for an album when I only liked one song and IYCRMM was the only single I knew from that album. Ironically, the song that hooked me was GL's version of "Me and Bobby McGee," which I already knew of thru Pearl's (Janice Joplin) very different recording. I remember listening to GL's version in a record store, then waiting to hear the next song (Approaching Lavender). When I loved that song, I proceeded to listen to half the album in the record store. I promptly bought it.

The other song that hooked me was "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." A friend of mine could play and sing it pretty well, and I used to love to sing along. Still do, nearly thirty years laters.

Best regards, 2Much2Lose

[This message has been edited by 2Much2Lose (edited May 14, 2000).]
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote