View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
charlene

Default Re: A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot

https://torontosun.com/opinion/lette...ditor-nov-17-2
Happy 80th birthday today to Canada’s legendary, iconic singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot! Since the early ’70s I have been an avid fan of his songs of love, heartache, the beauty of Canada, and the social issues of the day. His concerts at Massey Hall are pilgrimages for fans from around the world. “The Church of Gord,” as I call it, is his musical home. The seats become pews as we listen to every word, every note he plays, and his bandmates as well. They are the epitome of perfection in their delivery of Lightfoot music. On stage with Lightfoot, they are one cohesive unit that brings the audience to their feet several times per show with not only applause but a palpable love and heartfelt respect. A Lightfoot fan ranges in age from young grandchildren of older fans to every age in between. At 80 years of age, you would think he would stop touring and take it easy after more than 50 years on the road. But he’s out touring for the fans, to satisfy the fans who want to see and hear those songs again, and the crowds show up wherever he goes. We show up to be in the presence of one of the greatest singer-songwriters of the last 50 years. In my mind, he is the greatest and I want to wish him many more years of good health, safe travels and love. Happy 80th, dear Gordon, you know I’ll tag along.

Charlene Westbrook
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote