View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Shaking off the cobwebs and dust
After battling back from a near-fatal illness, Gordon Lightfoot says he's ready to hit the road again

By Larry LeBlanc, Billboard
April 21, 2005

After nearly dying of an abdominal hemorrhage three years ago, Canadian folk patriarch Gordon Lightfoot is ready to go back on tour.

M.P.I. Talent Agency in Los Angeles has booked 35 Lightfoot dates in North America, including a Sunday show at The Canyon in Agoura Hills.

Despite lingering health issues, Lightfoot will hit the road.

"Things are booked, so I have to be there," he says. "I simply have to be. We've been doing rehearsals for four months, so I'm well-practiced now.

"My hands are still a bit stiff, but I'm working on that. I expect the vocal to look after itself. It has been tested quite seriously."

Barry Harvey, general manager of Lightfoot's Early Morning Productions in Toronto, adds, "Most artists would be unsure of touring again after something like this happening, but performing is part of who Gordon is. I see that on his face every day when we talk about touring."

Three years out of the spotlight has resulted in greater market interest in Lightfoot, according to booker Stephan Boyd at M.P.I.

"Demand for Gordon is tenfold from what it has ever been," he says.

"Gordon has been away for some time after touring consistently for years."

"We expect the demand for Lightfoot tickets will be tremendous," says Jeff Wells, production manager of the Paramount Theatre in Aurora, Ill., where the folk troubadour will perform Aug. 13-14. "This could be one of his last tours."

A 60-date North American tour in 2002 was cancelled after Lightfoot collapsed just hours before he was to perform in Orillia in Ontario, Canada. He was taken to McMaster Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, where he spent six weeks in a coma.

While bedridden and after leaving the hospital in late 2003, Lightfoot supervised instrumental overdubs and mixing of tracks he had originally made as vocal-and-guitar rehearsal recordings. This resulted in his 20th album, "Harmony," which Toronto-based independent Linus Entertainment released in May 2004.

During the upcoming dates, Lightfoot will perform material from "Harmony," as well as from his five United Artist albums and 14 with Warner-affiliated labels.

This includes such songs as "If You Could Read My Mind," "Early Morning Rain" and "Sundown," plus key album tracks like "Cobwebs and Dust" and "Sit Down Young Stranger."

"There are 50 songs I can draw from that audiences want to hear," Lightfoot says.

"I still haven't tackled 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy.' It has a lot of high notes in it."

For obvious reasons, the 65-year-old Lightfoot is working at a slower pace, but he rules out retirement.

"There's no point in retiring," he says.

"After what I came through I am thankful about being able to go out again.

"It's difficult to say if I'll still record. Being ill has changed my priorities."

The Canadian folk legend performs at 9 p.m., April 24 at The Canon, 28912 Roadside Drive, Agoura Hills. Tickets, $38.50 and $58.50, are available by calling 1-818-879-5016. Visit http://www.thecanyonclub.net for more information.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...715205,00.html
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote