View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
banjobench12

Default Blue Rodeo Live at Massey Hall

Blue Rodeo is a well known band here in Canada. Not so well known in the US unfortunately. They just released a cd / dvd combo of a concert at Massey Hall last winter. The cd features an acoustic set they did for the first half of their Massey shows. It is outstanding and I highly recommend it.

The Lightfoot connection is this. The two singers and songwriters in the band are Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor. They are both huge Lightfoot fans.

For their 20th anniversary as a band Keelor wrote an article in Toronto's Globe and Mail about how the band started. He and Cuddy were in NYC trying to get something started. Keelor bought a cassette of Gord's Gold, felt homesick and was shocked that he didn't even own an acoustic guitar. He fixed that, dragged Cuddy back home to Toronto and they formed Blue Rodeo. The first song Cuddy learned on the guitar was For Lov'n Me. Those of you that have seen the Much More Music concert that Gord did will recall Gord pointing him out in the audience. I also saw Cuddy with Barry Harvey at Gord's first comeback concert at Hamilton Place.

They are an awesome band and am willing to bet that if you enjoy Gord's music you will enjoy theirs!
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote