Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shadows - 25 Years (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=12912)

sunspot 02-07-2007 09:23 PM

The 25-year anniversary is approaching of one of my most memorable days in my Gordon fandom: The release of the "Shadows" album.

I remember marching through bitter cold and snow on Feb. 9, 1982 near the University of Minnesota to get the LP version of "Shadows." I wore that album out and my college friends pleaded with me to get with the times and listen to something more hip.

Gord had just appeared at the U of M's Northrup Auditorium the previous October and had debuted about half the album. I still remember him having a music stand brought to him on stage where he performed "Heaven Help the Devil" from sheet music.

The album, after all these years, is still my favorite because of this memory and the fact that there is not a below average song on the entire album. After 25 years, the album has stood the test of time and the songs are among the most played in my car. I think Gord feels the same way because 6 of the 11 songs have had many concert appearances the past decade or so.

The albums from the 1970's clearly are outstanding. The post-Shadows albums have been mostly good but maybe each of those albums might have a song or two that I could take or leave. I can truly say that I have never been tempted to fast forward through Shadows. About a week after I listened to Shadows I said that it was his best and I haven't changed my opinion since.

Glad to hear Gord appears to have largely recovered from the scare he gave us here in Minnesota last September with his mini-stroke. Hopefully, he will be back here soon.

John- Minnesota

seafarer62 02-07-2007 09:23 PM

The 25-year anniversary is approaching of one of my most memorable days in my Gordon fandom: The release of the "Shadows" album.

I remember marching through bitter cold and snow on Feb. 9, 1982 near the University of Minnesota to get the LP version of "Shadows." I wore that album out and my college friends pleaded with me to get with the times and listen to something more hip.

Gord had just appeared at the U of M's Northrup Auditorium the previous October and had debuted about half the album. I still remember him having a music stand brought to him on stage where he performed "Heaven Help the Devil" from sheet music.

The album, after all these years, is still my favorite because of this memory and the fact that there is not a below average song on the entire album. After 25 years, the album has stood the test of time and the songs are among the most played in my car. I think Gord feels the same way because 6 of the 11 songs have had many concert appearances the past decade or so.

The albums from the 1970's clearly are outstanding. The post-Shadows albums have been mostly good but maybe each of those albums might have a song or two that I could take or leave. I can truly say that I have never been tempted to fast forward through Shadows. About a week after I listened to Shadows I said that it was his best and I haven't changed my opinion since.

Glad to hear Gord appears to have largely recovered from the scare he gave us here in Minnesota last September with his mini-stroke. Hopefully, he will be back here soon.

John- Minnesota

formerlylavender 02-08-2007 07:57 AM

I love Shadows too. You're right, there isn't a bad song in the bunch. What a great memory seeing Gord perform Heaven Help the Devil from sheet music.

Your friends didn't know what they were missing!

Station Master 02-08-2007 10:04 AM

loved reading your post, I echo the reply above, come back again

Minneapolis, MN
Northrup Auditorium - October 2, 1981

Hey You
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Heaven Help The Devil
Triangle
Shadows
In My Fashion
Ghosts Of Cape Horn
Two Crazy Kids
Thank You For The Promises
Summertime Dream
On The High Seas
Endless Wire
Gotta Get Away

Hangdog Hotel Room
Race Among The Ruins
Sundown
All I'm After
If You Could Read My Mind
14 Karat Gold
Song For A Winter's Night
Dream Street Rose
I'm Not Supposed To Care
The Auctioneer
The Last Time I Saw Her
Old Dan's Records
Canadian Railroad Trilogy

wow, Not Supposed To Care right into Auctioneer, two extremes!

jj 02-08-2007 10:04 AM

loved reading your post, I echo the reply above, come back again

Minneapolis, MN
Northrup Auditorium - October 2, 1981

Hey You
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Heaven Help The Devil
Triangle
Shadows
In My Fashion
Ghosts Of Cape Horn
Two Crazy Kids
Thank You For The Promises
Summertime Dream
On The High Seas
Endless Wire
Gotta Get Away

Hangdog Hotel Room
Race Among The Ruins
Sundown
All I'm After
If You Could Read My Mind
14 Karat Gold
Song For A Winter's Night
Dream Street Rose
I'm Not Supposed To Care
The Auctioneer
The Last Time I Saw Her
Old Dan's Records
Canadian Railroad Trilogy

wow, Not Supposed To Care right into Auctioneer, two extremes!

johnfowles 02-08-2007 11:10 AM

It is indeed strange that in October 1981 Gord needed a music stand John
because he had sung it previously at London's
Royal Albert Hall - May 18, 1981
A concert I attended which featured both Pee Wee
Charles and Mike Heffernan
I have heard a recording of that concert and he certainly sang it flawlessly without a music stand as I recall and very clearly introduces the song as
"this one has the unlikely title of:-
"Heaven Help the devil may he have a few unpleasant memories""
I noted at the time that the setlist included 7 songs "not yet on record"
These were four from Shadows
Blackberry Wine, In My Fashion 14 Karat Gold.and, of course Heaven Help The devil
plus Gotta Get Away from Salute and a pair of rarities not released until 1999 on Songbook
Keepin' On Yearnin' and Canary Yellow Canoe
I also found a clipping from the Daily Telegraph and have typed it out.
it is at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfo...981_Review.htm
To be honest I do not recall seeing
"the odd figure who insisted on standing a few feet away from the singer apparently staring up at his nostrils"
It certainly was not me nor probably Bruna silverheels

johnfowles 02-08-2007 11:10 AM

It is indeed strange that in October 1981 Gord needed a music stand John
because he had sung it previously at London's
Royal Albert Hall - May 18, 1981
A concert I attended which featured both Pee Wee
Charles and Mike Heffernan
I have heard a recording of that concert and he certainly sang it flawlessly without a music stand as I recall and very clearly introduces the song as
"this one has the unlikely title of:-
"Heaven Help the devil may he have a few unpleasant memories""
I noted at the time that the setlist included 7 songs "not yet on record"
These were four from Shadows
Blackberry Wine, In My Fashion 14 Karat Gold.and, of course Heaven Help The devil
plus Gotta Get Away from Salute and a pair of rarities not released until 1999 on Songbook
Keepin' On Yearnin' and Canary Yellow Canoe
To be honest I do not recall seeing
"the odd figure who insisted on standing a few feet away from the singer apparently staring up at his nostrils"
It certainly was not me nor probably Bruna silverheels

Gitchigumee 02-08-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

That's just nasty.

johnfowles 02-08-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seafarer62:

I remember marching through bitter cold and snow on Feb. 9, 1982 near the University of Minnesota to get the LP version of "Shadows." John- Minnesota

In far off England in those pre internet days it was a question of luck and perseverance finding new releases and as David so aptly said in another topic on Tuesday
"Gord could be found anywhere in folk, country, pop, rock, singer-songwriter, or even Canadiana! But the search was fun and it was always a delight to hit the jackpot. "THERE he is!!!"

what delightful memories that quote brings back

I did know the owner of a local record store who would sometimes tip me off that he had spotted news of a new release in his trade papers and would usually order a copy for me anyway.
I have just looked at my "Made in England" Shadows vinyl and it is one of the few on which I recorded the purchase date. It was March 17th 1982, so I was not far behind Minnesota for that album!!
It remains a favourite album with me also,
despite having two songs that Gord and the band obviously really enjoy tapping their toes to, that are a long way down my favourites list, Blackberry Wine and Baby Step Back. Against that is the realisation during the last couple of years of concert going of just how much I like the title track even with its monotonous use of the C chord, plus hearing Melissa Joe do her exquisite version of "Heaven Help the Devil (May He Have A Few Unpleasant Memories)" at the Saturday Delta Chelsea jam session last November was further confirmation of how much I love that song too
John

[ February 09, 2007, 10:07: Message edited by: johnfowles ]

johnfowles 02-08-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seafarer62:

I remember marching through bitter cold and snow on Feb. 9, 1982 near the University of Minnesota to get the LP version of "Shadows." John- Minnesota

In far off England in those pre internet days it was a question of luck and perseverance finding new releases and as David so aptly said in another topic on Tuesday
"Gord could be found anywhere in folk, country, pop, rock, singer-songwriter, or even Canadiana! But the search was fun and it was always a delight to hit the jackpot. "THERE he is!!!"

what delightful memories that quote brings back

I did know the owner of a local record store who would sometimes tip me off that he had spotted news of a new release in his trade papers and would usually order a copy for me anyway.
I have just looked at my "Made in England" Shadows vinyl and it is one of the few on which I recorded the purchase date. It was March 17th 1982, so I was not far behind Minnesota for that album!!
It remains a favourite album with me also,
despite having two songs that Gord and the band obviously really enjoy tapping their toes to, that are a long way down my favourites list, Blackberry Wine and Baby Step Back. Against that is the realisation during the last couple of years of concert going of just how much I like the title track even with its monotonous use of the C chord, plus hearing Melissa Joe do her exquisite version of "Heaven Help the Devil (May He Have A Few Unpleasant Memories)" at the Saturday Delta Chelsea jam session last November was further confirmation of how much I love that song too
John

[ February 09, 2007, 10:07: Message edited by: johnfowles ]

DJ in MJ 02-08-2007 02:46 PM

Shadows is indeed underrated. It's not my favourite, but it's a darn fine collection of songs.

charlene 02-08-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

[img]http://www.johnfowles.org.uk//LIGHTFOOT/lightfoot_images/Melissa's_Heaven_Help_The_Devil.jpg[img] [/QB]
and here too...
[img]http://www.melissadevil.notlong.com[img]

you're missing the forward slash before the [img] at the end..

is MJ aware you have posted this on the internet?

[ February 08, 2007, 14:54: Message edited by: charlene ]

charlene 02-08-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

[img]http://www.johnfowles.org.uk//LIGHTFOOT/lightfoot_images/Melissa's_Heaven_Help_The_Devil.jpg[img] [/QB]
and here too...
[img]http://www.melissadevil.notlong.com[img]

you're missing the forward slash before the [img] at the end..

[ February 08, 2007, 14:54: Message edited by: charlene ]

Borderstone 02-08-2007 05:56 PM

Looks like seafarer read my mind. :) I was going to start a topic about this myself but yep,25 years since "Shadows". Had I not been a teen more interested in the current music scene then,I more than likely would have bought it that year too. (This past Dec. 9th marked 4 years since I bought it though. :D )

All I knew of Gordon then was that he was only heard on oldies & light rock stations. I had no idea he was even making albums at that point (until 1983 when I saw a copy of Salute @ my local record outlet.)

It also been 25 years since Gordon's last Hot 100 single from this LP. "Baby Step Back",the most obviously commercial cut,only reched the top 50
( between #50 & #41)in May of '82.

The album deserved a better fate of course and if there were a way to change past events,
I'd be willing to bet that had the label gone with the title cut first,
it would have upped the sale of albums considerably and maybe even had given Gordon a 2nd #1 hit. ;)

This anniversary makes it quite great that he opened the show with "Triangle" and sang "Shadows" & "14 Karat Gold" :cool:

GoofyGurl 02-09-2007 10:36 AM

"Shadows" is indeed a highly underrated album!!
I'd say it's in my Top 5 choices, #1 being "Salute".

The "Heaven Help The Devil" sheet music during the show may have been due to revisions he was making in the song - he may have just changed some words or chords before the performance that evening. Artists are like that !!!

Even though Gordon has been quoted as saying "my albums from the late 70's and early 80's were not very good", we, his fanbase, beg to differ. The selections on "Shadows" have been a large portion of his live shows the past 10 years, as was stated earlier in this thread.

I still remember my first G.L. concert in St. Louis, MO 1991 - Gord's first song he sang on the set was "Triangle" - every time I listen to that song it takes me back to that first show!!!!

Kelly Davis 02-09-2007 10:36 AM

"Shadows" is indeed a highly underrated album!!
I'd say it's in my Top 5 choices, #1 being "Salute".

The "Heaven Help The Devil" sheet music during the show may have been due to revisions he was making in the song - he may have just changed some words or chords before the performance that evening. Artists are like that !!!

Even though Gordon has been quoted as saying "my albums from the late 70's and early 80's were not very good", we, his fanbase, beg to differ. The selections on "Shadows" have been a large portion of his live shows the past 10 years, as was stated earlier in this thread.

I still remember my first G.L. concert in St. Louis, MO 1991 - Gord's first song he sang on the set was "Triangle" - every time I listen to that song it takes me back to that first show!!!!

johnfowles 02-09-2007 11:22 AM

[quote]Originally posted by charlene:
Quote:

Quite correct Char to point out the error of my ways
OK I omitted the forward slash twice but earlier I had used the image function and even with the correct tag syntax the screenshot would not display
In future I will, instead of saying "sod it" try http://www.imageshack.us
your worthy point about getting permissions is well taken
In fact I have already uploaded several nice little videos taken at the jam session and I had intended passing the links to
Jimmy Jones so he could if he wished edit them and then add them to his video production.I will now contact Melissa Joe,
Bill Hall, Ron Jones and the mouse to,let them see what their videos are like before giving Jimmy full access.
Meanwhile as you will see I have removed the links to MJ's video and the screenshot
John

johnfowles 02-09-2007 11:22 AM

[quote]Originally posted by charlene:
Quote:

Quite correct Char to point out the error of my ways
OK I omitted the forward slash twice but earlier I had used the image function and even with the correct tag syntax the screenshot would not display
In future I will, instead of saying "sod it" try http://www.imageshack.us
your worthy point about getting permissions is well taken
In fact I have already uploaded several nice little videos taken at the jam session and I had intended passing the links to
Jimmy Jones so he could if he wished edit them and then add them to his video production.I will now contact Melissa Joe,
Bill Hall, Ron Jones and the mouse to,let them see what their videos are like before giving Jimmy full access.
Meanwhile as you will see I have removed the links to MJ's video and the screenshot
John

Borderstone 02-10-2007 04:30 PM

Misty? :) Glad to see you back on. I have to let you know that your mailbox has been full for a coupl-a months now.

In regards to your last message that you sent sometime ago,don't sweat it..okay? ;)

But seriously...empty your box!! :eek: :D

I agree with you though,25 years to me feels more like 25 months. :rolleyes: No...no,it hasn't been 25 years this fall since I started High School! Nah!!! :D

Boat House AKA member 02-11-2007 02:28 PM

I love Shadows, definitely one of Gords best IMHO.

Kilgore 02-11-2007 02:28 PM

I love Shadows, definitely one of Gords best IMHO.

brink- 02-11-2007 06:17 PM

Welcome back Misty, hope the move went well.

The Rez 02-15-2007 05:36 AM

The song *Shadows* has held me in thrall since my first hearing.

After-concert at the Universal Amphitheater, thanks to Jason Siever, I was able to talk w/ Gord.

Finally, getting up the courage, I asked him the story behind the song. He wisely replied:

If I told you, it wouldn't be yours anymore

Today is my 'leventy-sixth birthday. Gord's Wise Gift endures.

Rez

Dream Street Rose 02-15-2007 11:35 AM

Rez, I miss you in the *Shadows*. Where are you? I didn' know you were younger than me. :D Happy, Happy birthday baby. I will give you your b-day hugs the next time we meet.

:)

charlene 02-15-2007 12:17 PM

Happy Happy Rez!
;)
Char