Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Riverboat plaque presentation (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=19677)

charlene 05-22-2009 06:36 PM

Riverboat plaque presentation

Mr. Fiedler and Mr. Lightfoot will be in attendance.

Heritage Toronto invites you to join:

Derek Boles, Heritage Toronto Board
Councillor Kyle Rae, Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Nicholas Jennings, Author of "Before the Gold Rush"
Gee Chung, Greater Yorkville Residents Association
Bernie Fiedler, owner of the Riverboat
and Special Guests

for a plaque presentation in honour of legendary Yorkville coffee house

The Riverboat

Thursday, June 18th
2:00PM

In front of the Hazelton Hotel
118 Yorkville Avenue
(at Yorkville and Bay Streets)

Bill 05-22-2009 10:13 PM

Re: Riverboat plaque presentation

Too cool. The one and only time I was in Canada I stayed at a Four Season's Hotel on corner I believe of Yorkville and Avenue Road. Never knew where the Riverboat had been, but I'm sure I walked passed the site. I had my Martin with me and did the street musician thing that several people were doing.

I also remember walking past Eastern Sound Studio, and seeing what must have been Gord pulling out of a parking lot across the street...in what I remember as a white 2 door Caddy, year was 1981.

T.G. 05-23-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 152153)
I also remember walking past Eastern Sound Studio, and seeing what must have been Gord pulling out of a parking lot across the street...in what I remember as a white 2 door Caddy, year was 1981.

Do you recall the location of Eastern Sound studio? Lighthouse recorded a lot of their albums there, too.

brink- 05-23-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 152151)
Mr. Fiedler and Mr. Lightfoot will be in attendance.

http://www.heritagetoronto.org/disco...6/18/riverboat

Heritage Toronto invites you to join:

Derek Boles, Heritage Toronto Board
Councillor Kyle Rae, Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Nicholas Jennings, Author of "Before the Gold Rush"
Gee Chung, Greater Yorkville Residents Association
Bernie Fiedler, owner of the Riverboat
and Special Guests

for a plaque presentation in honour of legendary Yorkville coffee house

The Riverboat

Thursday, June 18th
2:00PM

In front of the Hazelton Hotel
118 Yorkville Avenue
(at Yorkville and Bay Streets)

Are you going to fly back from Florida to go? I bet the "Mr. boys" would be glad to see you.

charlene 05-23-2009 06:57 PM

no i wont be back up for the presentation..
and yes i`m sure the disappointment on Yorkville Avenue that day will be palpable..
lol`

I did sit on Yorkville ave. a week ago while enjoying a lovely frozen yogourt tho...

charlene 05-29-2009 11:21 PM

I love where it says "the birthplace of Canadian song"...

http://www.heritagetoronto.org/news/...at-coffeehouse

Plaque Presentation: The Riverboat Coffeehouse

Join us on June 18 as we celebrate the fabled Yorkville music venue

On Thursday, June 18th, Heritage Toronto will celebrate "the birthplace of Canadian song" - the Riverboat Coffeehouse.

Located in the narrow basement of a house at 134 Yorkville Ave, the Riverboat was opened in 1964 by Bernie Fiedler and became the best-known coffeehouse in Canada. Over its history, the Riverboat stage was graced by Canada's music elite, including Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot. The Riverboat remained open until 1977, by which time it was the sole remaining coffeehouse in the area.

A number of musicians who graced The Riverboat's stage during its illustrious life will attend the event and share their memories.

The Heritage Toronto plaque will be the first in series to commemorate the Yorkville music scene.

Oh, Linda 06-01-2009 08:51 PM

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that's where the Riverboat was located. I just ate at the Hazelton restaurant two weekends ago...with friends who live one street over.

T.G. 06-19-2009 03:22 AM

Well, was anyone there?

On Susan's Floor 06-19-2009 07:38 AM

First time posting folks.... but I managed to show up for this one. Found the ideal parking spot a block or two away, no probs there, arrived an hour early and met with Riverboat Jane. You all probably know that she was a waitress for about 4 years working the Riverboat during those early years. I was just chatting but inquiring about who I would contact concerning getting an album or two signed by Gordon. She very kindly said she would try to arrange it. I told her I was 40 years waiting for this one. She laughed (sad but true!!) The Heritage Toronto team were already there doing set up, the sound and video guys doing their thing. Gradually the crowd started gathering, don't know the count, 100 or so maybe a little less, maybe a little more. After much ado, Nicholas took the podium and so it began. Turns out he was a dishwasher for Bernie Fielder before his life moved on which brought a big laugh :biggrin:. Wish I had a photographic mind but there were many stories about how the placque idea came about mainly through Gee Chung and about the Riverboat years and the main players during that time. The many artists in attendance were introduced (hands were busy holding the camera, didn't take the names). Then Dan Hill and Murray Mclaughlin said a few words and finally Gordon was asked to reveal the placque so he removed the blue satin cloth and took a long look and smiled wonderfully.....applause, applause... Before you knew it it was over and time for me to grab my chance with Gordon... Met him briefly to give him a big thank you and Jane had him sign my album... Very delightful indeed. The guy was pretty well swamped with photo ops, etc. Next thing I see that CFRB was interviewing him. It seemed to go on for about 10 minutes and I thought, OK he'll get some good air time. Except when I did hear the clip on the radio going home, out of all that interviewing time and no doubt many good memories by Gordon, the only quote I heard that they played was an excerpt that Gordon said about "the coffee was real good"... huge letdown for me. I was looking forward to more radio time for Gordon for what was really a "Canadian" and certainly a very "Toronto" moment... Took a few pictures, will post at a latter date if anyone interested.... Time to wrap it up, maybe the newspapers will get the details for you. My brain was pretty well engaged and very occupied in being in the presence of so many incredible musical artists, but most of all with THE Gordon Lightfoot!!:clap:

charlene 06-19-2009 10:50 AM

thanks for the report..I didn't think it would garner much press. hope to see your pics!

charlene 06-19-2009 09:21 PM

http://blog.canoe.ca/canoedossier/20...sy_and_reality
from David Newland.
photos and pics at the link.

thanks David!

brink- 06-20-2009 02:36 AM

Welcome OSF. great of you to post for us. Would love to see the pictures you have. Some of us live our Gord moments through the memories of others. Thanks for the first hand story.....if you think of more please post it!

Auburn Annie 06-20-2009 11:01 AM

Looks like one of my high school class reunions, lol (40 years now.) Still good to know so many remember the place fondly.

T.G. 06-21-2009 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of other pics from the event ...

jj 06-23-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oh, Linda (Post 152305)
Oh my gosh, I had no idea that's where the Riverboat was located. I just ate at the Hazelton restaurant two weekends ago...with friends who live one street over.

Linda, just FYI: there are addresses in the link below of other old hot spots, part of the 60's Plaque Series:

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ight=riverboat

this pic shows what that strip of old Victorian houses looked like (Riverboat was in the basement of course)

many thanks for the update, On Susan's Floor, and for the pics, TG...I was out of town that day

imported_Next_Saturday 06-24-2009 07:52 AM

Here's a video of GL attending--very poor quality however

charlene 06-24-2009 11:10 AM

charlene 06-26-2009 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/cityha.../article/64169

charlene 07-15-2009 09:54 PM

11 Attachment(s)
http://www.heritagetoronto.org/news/...e-presentation

SherylKat 07-16-2009 12:22 AM

I was lucky enough to be at the presentation ceremony and felt very honoured as well to be present and be a part of the celebration of the Riverboat. Frankly, I was a little concerned that the spotlight might fall on Gordon Lightfoot and not Bernie Fiedler. Hopwever. everyone there knew it was Bernie Fiedler's day. He deserves a plaque and much more for his huge contribution to Canadian music. Just wished I'd known about the first speaker (only introduced as the Riverboat's former dishwasher, not a music critic for Macleans) being the author of a wonderfully informative book on that era, "Before the Gold Rush" - I heartily recommend it for anyone with the slightest interest in that era. I guess it's out of print, at least on Amazon it was pretty pricey (but worth it).

And cheers to Heritage Toronto for a celebration not too short, not too long, and a gorgeous plaque (which I don't think has been formaly installed yet, or at least it wasn't when I left Toronto.) SherylKat

SherylKat 07-16-2009 12:24 AM

And Char, oh wow, I'm a senior member now. What does that mean? And doI get a free Big Mac or something? LOL :kiss: Sheryl

RM 07-16-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherylKat (Post 153146)
And Char, oh wow, I'm a senior member now. What does that mean? And doI get a free Big Mac or something? LOL :kiss: Sheryl

There are NO prizes.

charlene 07-16-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM (Post 153147)
There are NO prizes.

Scrooge.

;)

SherylKat 07-16-2009 04:58 PM

[quote=charlene;153150]Scrooge.

;)[/quote

Char: WELL! RM's off MY Christmas list! :biggrin: And a a suggestion, I think Senior Members could at least receive a free coffee and donut hole (oh God, you all from the Gentle Giant to the North - GGN - call donut holes something different - Timmys or Tinys or somethng?) Whatever, they're GOOOOOOD. If TH came down to the States, it would sure give Mickey D's a run for it's business. Great selection. I also discovered the delights of Second Cup of Coffee (isn't that the start of a Lightfoot song?)

SherylKat, S.M. :p

RM 07-16-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherylKat (Post 153154)
Char: WELL! RM's off MY Christmas list! :biggrin:

Just to set the record straight : I campaigned for prizes for a long time, but to no avail. So, when I see others asking if their effort(s) are worthy of 'something', I humanely euthanize those dreams.

charlene 07-16-2009 08:35 PM

Timbits - we call them Timbits..
And Tim's is heading south in a big way. They just opened about 10 stores in Manhattan..

Ron is a kindly soul isn't he? Always thinking of others in a humane way..
lol

SherylKat 07-30-2009 11:36 AM

Hi - don't think anybody has answered your question about where Eastern Sound was located. I thought of you while reading "Before the Gold Rush" by Nicholas Jennings (the mc of the Riverboat plaque ceremony). On about the fourth page of that book, it has a diagram of Yorkville as it was between 1960-69. It shows Eastern Sound being at the corner of Yorkville and Bay Streets, east side. If you would like me to scan this and send you a copy, just give me your e-mail address - it's so much easier to attach pix on AOL than it is on this website!

SherylKat

jj 07-30-2009 01:51 PM

hi sherylkat...from what I understand, Eastern either disbanded or moved to Adelaide St (just south west of where I'm working, 5 minutes from Massey, south of Moss Park, west of Regent Park...not exactly touristy zone!) as Manta Eastern Studio where Waiting For You was recorded...today, Manta also no longer exists

so back to the question: I for one, would like to see the map, thanks:)

SherylKat 07-30-2009 03:16 PM

Would be happy to do so - Need a scanner so will scan it tomorrow - off to a NASTY DENTAL APPOINTMENT! Oh joy....:biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 153532)
hi sherylkat...from what I understand, Eastern either disbanded or moved to Adelaide St (just south west of where I'm working, 5 minutes from Massey, south of Moss Park, west of Regent Park...not exactly touristy zone!) as Manta Eastern Studio where Waiting For You was recorded...today, Manta also no longer exists

so back to the question: I for one, would like to see the map, thanks:)

SherylKat 08-01-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auburn Annie (Post 152568)
Looks like one of my high school class reunions, lol (40 years now.) Still good to know so many remember the place fondly.

LOVED your post! So true (and I decided NOT to go to my high school reunion - LOL. As a matter of fact, when I was standing there at the Riverboat Ceremony, I thought, "So, WE'RE the survivors!" -- bifocals, grey hair, and all!

Sheryl

charlene 10-23-2010 06:16 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwntert...7621880007126/

charlene 06-25-2014 10:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
PICS at: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/multi...60/?cmpid=rss1
June 25, 1978
A Variety article in 1968 highlighted the appearance of Joni Mitchell at the Riverboat, a tight coffeehouse located below street level at 134 Yorkville Ave., the epicentre of the Toronto folk-music and counter-culture scene. The cover charge would be $1.75 for a poetic artist whose songs “talked of more innocent days,” according to Variety, “leaving an optimism that is rare.” Ten years later, the club (with its pine walls, red booths and brass portholes), which staged intimate performances by everyone from Gordon Lightfoot to Odetta, Kris Kristofferson and Neil Young, closed its doors. The last act was Murray McLauchlan, a singer-songwriter whose final set began in the earliest hours of June 25. The innocence and optimism of the 1960s died on different days, and in many ways. The sinking of the Riverboat was one of those moments. — Brad Wheeler

Bernie Fiedler and Gordon Lightfoot:

T.G. 06-25-2014 05:36 PM

Those are amazing photos.