Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Story made up with song's titles (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=15733)

loveandmaplesyrup 02-26-2000 04:36 AM

Florian where ARE YOU!!! We miss you.

"...we're poor little lambs who have lost our way ... baa baa baa...."

Have you left us "High and Dry"? Has "The Watchman Gone" down that "Carefree Highway" in "Somewhere U.S.A."?. Is it "Too Late For Prayin'?" for the ray of sunshine you add to this group? You are "Always on the Bright Side" and "If You Could Read My Mind" then you would know that "The Way I Feel" is I owe you an "Apology" for losing my temper and if you will "Let it Ride", "It's Worth Believin'" that it won't happen again. If you will "Forgive me, Lord", I promise to mind my manners from now on. So, please don't go "Fading Away" and leave "The Lost Children" in the "Shadows". You're "14 Karat Gold." (And if it's okay with everyone still, "I'll tag along.") http://www.corfid.com/ubb/smile.gif

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."

Florian 02-26-2000 05:04 AM

Hi Lams,

Quite impressive text. In fact, I've been trying myself for some time now to tell a story consisting mainly of song titles.

I only came that far:

It was a "Lazy Morning" and I thought I "Gotta Get Away" to work. Damn, I'm still at "Susan's floor". I desparately needed a "Second Cup Of Coffee". I will be late, traffic "On Yonge Street" is bad as usual. "If Children Had Wings" I thought, they could fly me over. But instead it was the same "Race among the Ruins" as every day.

Maybe we can complete this story? Everyone could contribute a few sentences and we then could puzzle it all together.

Florian 02-26-2000 05:08 AM

Hi Lams,

I forgot to say:

I have some emails for you in the pipeline, I will send them to you a little later on today.

Lightfoot678 02-27-2000 12:56 AM

In an attempt tp avoid getting caught up in a traffic jam with all the "Rainy Day People" I headed out on to "Carefree Highway" where it was busy and slower due to the "Early Mornin Rain". It'll probably be this way at "Sundown" I thought. It'll be a "Black Day In July" before I go out on a day like this again. I watched ahead of me as a young man rode by on a bike. He seemed to be tilting at the windmills passing like "Don Quixote". After an hour of making my way through this major "Affair On 8th Avenue" I made it to work at the "Circle Of Steel" main offices. I entered my office and was greeted by my sweet southern secretary Jenny who I always call "Cotton Jenny". "Another rough morning" she asked. "Yeah yeah" I answered. She nodded. WIth her "Beautiful" eyes she seemed to say always look on the "Summer Side Of Life" and she is truly a "Summertime Dream". Outside I heard what sounded like a "Minstrel Of The Dawn" singing an old song by Bob Dylan or Phil Ochs or someone from that era. That song made me feel like pulling out "Old Dans Records" when I got home that evening. I shivered as the waft of air coming in was truly "Cold On The Shoulder".

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.

Janice 02-27-2000 02:03 PM

Hi LAMS, Florian & Lightfoot

I must say you guys are clever! I've been thinking about this since Saturday morning and I guess I'm just not very creative because I'm at a loss but wanted to encourage you and others to continue this story.

The unimaginative Janice

Florian 02-27-2000 03:35 PM

Hi Janice,

Thank you for your encouragement!

Here is a little bit more:

As I entered the bar, I noticed that the band was playing "A Minor Ballad" again. I would have prefered the old "Hi'Way Songs". But alas, "I'll be alright" with anything they play. Time to take my seat. "Oh, Linda", I shouted, get me some "Blackberry Wine". Instead, moments later, "Rosanna" returned and served me my wine. On her tray she also carried "Wild Strawberries". I took my chances, "May I?", - You are "Welcome To Try" - was her brief answer.

"Much To My Surprise" the old drunkard next to me growled "Does your Mother Know" you are sitting in this bar? "Drink Yer Glasses Empty" and "Slide On Over". He grew more quiet and his voice sounded more "Softly" as he added: Once I was sailing the "High Seas" and stood up against the "Ghosts of Cape Horn". He spoke in a very low voice as he continued, "A Passing Ship" is out there, it has a "Long Way Back Home". I am a sailor, I even live in a "Boathouse". Sometimes I take my "Canary Yellow Canoe" down the "Long River".
He made a long pause, I thought he had fallen asleep when he suddenly continued:
It's "Sixteen Miles to Seven Lakes" you know; and a sharp "Bend In The Water".
Finally he was "Fading Away" but still continued to grumble .
"Talking in your Sleep", eh? It sounded like "Peaceful Waters" or something like that, but "Sometimes I Don't Mind".

I finished my glass and left in a hurry.

Janice 02-27-2000 08:55 PM

Ah, Florian that's great!
Now I'm hooked and axiously awaiting the next segment.

Janice

Lightfoot678 02-27-2000 11:26 PM

(Continuing)

A few hours later as I sat in my office working, Jenny knocked on the door. "By the way, Jeff (My real name). Bonnie (My real life girlfriend's name) called last night and left a message for you" My heart raced for it had been so long since I had talked to "Beautiful" Bonnie.

Bonnie and I had met in the "Bitter Green" spring of many years ago. But "The Last Time I Saw Her" she was "Alberta Bound" off to write the "Canadian Railroad Trilogy". "Did She Mention My Name" I asked in surprise. "Of course she did. Here is the full text of the message". I read the message and then turned to her. "Tell the 'Boss Man' that I gotta run and I'll call in in a few days to make sure everything's okay." She nodded. "Everything Okay Jeff?" "Everything is fine Cotton Jenny" I answered. She smiled and waved as I walked out. In the hall I passed my buddy "Miguel" and a "Painter Passing Through" was adding a coat of paint to the wall. Outside the rain had picked up. The wind felt like "10 Degrees and getting colder" and a "Ribbon Of Darkness" was forming in the afternoon sky.

(To be continued)

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.

loveandmaplesyrup 02-28-2000 12:35 AM

I turned up my collar as a "Message to the Wind" that its "Cold Hands From New York" could not touch me on this happy day. And as I strolled down "Yonge Street", "Looking at the Rain", I happened to glance "In a Windowpane" of a little cafe and I just had to stop and to admire "All the Lovely Ladies" inside having their "Second Cup of Coffee" after lunch.

As I watched, one of them got up to leave. She smiled and said goodbye to her friends, paid her check and started out the door. As I stood aside to "Make Way For the Lady", I heard someone softly "Whisper My Name" and ("Forgive Me, Lord"), all thoughts of Bonnie were chased from my mind at that moment when I looked up to see Annabelle standing before me.

Although our relationship had only been a "Now and Then" type of thing, Annabelle and I had shared "That Same Old Obsession" for a brief, but happy time. Annabelle was now happily settled and the "Mother of a Miner's Child" although you'd never know it to look at her today.

"Hey, You!" I said in delight. "Baby, Step Back" and let me have a good look at you!" "If I Could", I would have hugged her on the spot, but visions of Bonnie and her own "Unsettled Ways" passed through my mind.

"Hi, there," said Annabelle quietly. "If it isn't my "Same Old Loverman". How have you been?"

"Well," I replied with a grin, "Same "Go Go Round". I shrugged. But "I've Gotta Lot More Livin' to Do". How about you? How's your husband and your daughter?"

Her eyes grew sad. "Well, "Poor Little Allison" ... well ... "She's Not the Same"... you know? Ever since she spent the night in that "Hangdog Hotel Room" which she now regrets deeply, she just keeps hanging out at "Cherokee Bend", trying to "Stay Loose." But I guess she's learned her "Lesson in Love". I keep telling her to just "Let it Ride", but, well, you know teenagers. Even "Uncle Toad Said" she should put on her "Red Velvet" and get out and find herself an "Ordinary Man." She shrugged. "He was "Stone Cold Sober" that night, too," she added with a twinkle in her eye.

I nodded. "Well, maybe she just needs "Someone to Believe In". She'll find the right "Romance" one day."

Annabelle laughed shortly. "Yeah. That sounds like you. ... "Always on the Bright Side", aren't you?"

I glanced up at the leaden sky which was already "Approaching Lavender" and I knew that it was "A Long Way Back Home" and I'd better get a move on if I was going to beat the storm and catch my plane to Alberta and Bonnie. I realized that this old relationship was lost in "Cobwebs and Dust" and it would never again be our "Affair on Eighth Avenue" that it had been. Too many "Changes" had taken place. "I'm Not Sayin'" that they are bad memories, but "The Last Time I Saw Her", she was happy just "For Lovin' Me" and since that "Black Day in July" when we reached the "Crossroads" of our relationship, we sort of both become "Drifters" "On the High Seas" of love.

So, with an "Apology" for having to run and a brief explanation of why, I said "Farewell to Annabelle" and hurried off to my apartment to don my "Saturday Clothes" and catch that "Alberta Bound" plane to take me to Bonnie.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."

[This message has been edited by loveandmaplesyrup (edited February 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by loveandmaplesyrup (edited February 27, 2000).]

loveandmaplesyrup 02-28-2000 01:10 AM

Florian,
This is ADDICTIVE. Janice is right!! I can't wait to see what happens to Jeff next. I think we have a real story going here! You guys all are TALENTED!!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."

loveandmaplesyrup 02-28-2000 01:19 AM

C'mon, Janice.

You're not unimaginative ... just shy. Don't hide. Come on out and play!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

Florian 05-27-2000 01:27 AM

Let's continue our story.
Everyone is invited to add a few sentences.

k-leb 05-27-2000 04:17 AM

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Let's continue our story.
Everyone is invited to add a few sentences.

`Softly` has I was sitting on the plne my mind slipped into another
`Timeline`when were younger thinking we were `Brave Montaineers`.
`The Ponyman` said let`s climb the `Montains and Marian`replied;
`I`d rather press on``A Tree to Weak to Stand`.Has it fell on `The
Leaves of Grass``Uncle Tood Said` you could catch splinters on that
`Knotty Pine`.
As I dodged the tree she yielded:`Baby step back`.
`I`ll be all right`I replied. ` I`d do it Again`said Marion(spectacular mood swing,eh?).
`You`re welcome to try`(...the pride of a man).
`I`ll do Anything`(..that`s what I fear).
`Then we heard `The Bells of the Evening and realised it was `A
Long Way Back Home`.
`Ring them Bells`shouted Marion to no one in particular.
`The House You live In`is`16 Miles` down`Redwood Hill`said I
and we`ll have to go by foot because `My Pony won`t Go`(..those
damn Hyundai cars).
`Has we came`Home from the Forest, we saw Marion`s mother
`In a Windowpane`.
`Hey You`,`Mamma said`you`re gonna know `The Way I Feel`.
`It`s too Late for Praying`.
`At that very moment it occured to me that`I Gotta get Away`
because I had `Too Much to Loose.
`Of course,I had to go by foot...a lightfoot.

...Drink yer glasses girls and boys it`s time to hit the Sky...

------------------

bobo 05-27-2000 02:09 PM

I tried to stick to just one album - but had to include one track from another:

I was feeling a little "restless" last Saturday, and it seemed as if "I'ld rather press on" than be left "High and Dry". Just then, my old drinkin' buddy wandered in. I said Hye, "I've been waiting for you"! The barkeep brought another round and my companion exclaimed, "Drink yer glasses empty!", to which the pleased bartender responded, you're "Welcome to Try". A few rounds later I had to say, "I'll prove my love" of booze another day, but now I'm "fading away" fast. The next thing I knew, it was time for the church at the corner to "Ring them Bells". Would I feel up to a day of picking "Wild Strawberries"? "Only Love would know"!

potter 05-27-2000 02:21 PM

I must 'Salute' everyone's efforts. It's nice to know that more than just I have a 'Romance' with the music of Gordon Lightfoot. When I just 'Gotta Get Away' and need 'Someone To Believe In' I can log on to my favorite website, Corfid.com. Like 'Whispers of the North,' your words allow me to forget my 'Broken Dreams.' Gordon Lightfoot's music has left an indellible mark on my life, not unlike a 'Tattoo.' When I listen to his artistry it leaves me with a serenity of a woodland of 'Knotty Pine' and, if only for a short time, I am in a panacea, or 'Biscuit City,' if you will. 'Salute'!

potter

'I'd rather be in Biscuit City
With a banjo in my hands'

GL

fezo 05-31-2000 01:22 PM

Hey, this is great! I actually recorded a song using this trick using Hank Williams song titles. If you want to check it out try: www.fmoworld.com/fezo and go to jukebox and then "Our Love Has Been a Jukebox Fullof Old Hank Williams Songs." Enjoy.

Obviously I have to get on this track now...

loveandmaplesyrup 06-02-2000 02:32 AM

Hi, all,
Anyone want to pick up with Jeff and Bonnie? We left off with Bonnie going up north to document the Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Jeff going up to find her, but running into Annabelle first.

Just in case anyone wants to carry on, I'll start a couple of lines :

As I stood in the "Early Morning Rain", waiting to board my plane, my mind was in a "Go-Go Round" over the encounter I had had with Annabelle earlier. It was true, I had thought of her "Now and Then" and, indeed she had been "Something Very Special", but she was "A Passing Ship". The "Way I Feel" she made her own choice when she chose Bob. "It's Too Late, He Wins" I told myself firmly as I looked out at the huge plane beyond the plate glass window. "You have Bonnie now and you're 'Alberta Bound'. There's "Too Much to Lose" if you're "Keepin' on Yearnin'" for the past and that 'Race Among the Ruins' the ended up in nothing but 'Broken Dreams.'" With Bonnie I had "Someone to Believe In". I could still hear her "Softly" telling me when she left, "Remember Me (I'm the One)". So, squaring my shoulders, I asked myself, "Why Should I Feel Blue"? I'm heading north to a woman who is "Fine as Fine Can Be". The line started moving toward the doorway to board the plane.

Okay, someone else's turn ....

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand