Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Did Gord ever write/sing a song called "North Ontario"? (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=12022)

speckbacke 03-31-2006 03:51 PM

I've just downloaded a song called North Ontario off Limewire, and it sounds a lot like GL singing it. Is this an unreleased song?

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' 03-31-2006 03:51 PM

I've just downloaded a song called North Ontario off Limewire, and it sounds a lot like GL singing it. Is this an unreleased song?

Jesse Joe 03-31-2006 05:28 PM

Hello James,

Sounds to me like a GL song called "Cabaret", from the album "Summer Side Of Life". Check it out.
Lightland #1348

Jesse Joe 03-31-2006 05:28 PM

Hello James,

Sounds to me like a GL song called "Cabaret", from the album "Summer Side Of Life". Check it out.
Lightland #1348

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' 03-31-2006 06:19 PM

That's it but when i downloaded it it started off at
"From the coast of California
Up to the Oregon border". It left off the first half... :confused:

Sheryl 03-31-2006 07:38 PM

That's the risk you take when you download off the internet. That and the chance of getting a virus.... Order a (new) CD from Amazon.com or somewhere reputable (as I did) and you'll be a very happy soul, indeed.

geodeticman 04-01-2006 05:49 AM

James,
When I was "shave-high-to-a-knee'er" err.. sumpin' like that near edge-o-Lake Erie in Cleveland Ohio, I heard a song I distinctly recall containing the stick-in-your-head phraseology of (phonetically):

North on-TAre-I-oh

"Ontario" was deliberately mispronounced , with the emPHASis on the wrong syLLABle at the "I" of Ontar"i"o, and the TA as well . A local folk song ?

Does this sound like the song you downloaded ? I remember nothing else of the song, but I DISTINCTLY remember that riff.

Bearing in mind in the land of cleves I was not listening to (not real) "erudite music daily" . or (this was real high-brow, with the venerable Case Western Reserve University downtown, quite... I should say) , (real station)-"from the lands of the Western reserve,.... the Quiet Island".... hmmm

I was just listening to "WIXY TOP FOOOOOURTY".

A painful childhood memory also recalls this North onTArIo in the middle of an aproximately 6th grade music/choir class from a pseudo folk-song of the area of the Great Lakes.

Painful cause most of the guys had the NEW cool wire-rim glasses and I was stuck with the band-aid- in-the-middle-of-the-nose-bridge black plastic glasses. They were definately getting the chicks, too. I KNEW it was the glasses, or maybe the generic band-aids versus brand-name.
LOL j/k -
do the above two possibilities help any ? or sound like the one you've got ? not likely I reckon' , as u likely would not download such geekoid stuff as I just waxed on about : )
- Steve

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' 04-01-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by geodeticman:
James,

North on-TAre-I-oh

"Ontario" was deliberately mispronounced , with the emPHASis on the wrong syLLABle at the "I" of Ontar"i"o, and the TA as well . A local folk song ?

Does this sound like the song you downloaded ? I remember nothing else of the song, but I DISTINCTLY remember that riff.
Yup thats it. why did he mispronounce it like that? :confused:

johnfowles 04-01-2006 01:42 PM

Now that this has come up May I present my own theory on "North Ontario"
the obvious place is to the North of Toronto, of course, but in the song he sings of
"If you’re drivin’ east to Reno
Or north to Mendecino
I hope you find your rainbow’s end"
unlikely if he were in Ontario Canada
But knowing that there is a suberb of Los Angeles that goes by that very name
I reckon that is where the mythical "cabaret" took place
from the wiki
"Ontario was incorporated as a city in 1891, and North Ontario broke away in 1910, calling itself Upland."
Discuss
John Fowles
http://maps.fallingrain.com/perl/map...6&name=KRIR&c=

johnfowles 04-01-2006 01:42 PM

Now that this has come up May I present my own theory on "North Ontario"
the obvious place is to the North of Toronto, of course, but in the song he sings of
"If you’re drivin’ east to Reno
Or north to Mendecino
I hope you find your rainbow’s end"
unlikely if he were in Ontario Canada
But knowing that there is a suberb of Los Angeles that goes by that very name
I reckon that is where the mythical "cabaret" took place
from the wiki
"Ontario was incorporated as a city in 1891, and North Ontario broke away in 1910, calling itself Upland."
Discuss
John Fowles
http://maps.fallingrain.com/perl/map...6&name=KRIR&c=

geodeticman 04-02-2006 05:15 AM

John,
Thank you. But... wherefor and why ? Am I forgetting a song from my less-than-favourite but thoroughly listened-to UA period of Lightfoot's ?

I am embarrassed, as I do love ,many of the songs from that period, and I would have thought I'd remember any songs from then. Which album John ?

I have the UA LP's but have not unpacked them yet since we moved across town recently. This is too much and too cryptic.. are u pulling my leg again April 1st style John, as in the X-ray TV ...LOL., If so I must be quite the cuckold.

hmm in order to thwart this possible embarassment, I will distract from my lack of knowledge on this with a deft and totally non-germaine change of subject, and bore you. j/k

per the non-sequiter shift:
Your map is impressive for the forum. The HSV-cone hysographic shaded-relief algorythm is close to the North-American standard employed by Kisstler Graphics, Hubbard Scientific, and Raven maps. I specialize in this in my work !

The yellow thematically-shaded polygons, although normally placed under the linear culture and transportation layers, and annotation, are of what theme ? Unincorporated census-bureau districst ?

May I ask the web address of the site this came from; my eyes don't serve down in the lower right (...).com . Curiosity only. One interesting thing.... the artifical light source in a shaded relief model is generally placed at an unnatural nut necessary position of 45 degrees above the horizon (altititude) and 315 degrees clockwise from North (azimuth) to avoid the optical illusion of relief reversal.

This map appears closer to Westerly (270 +/-) apparent lightsource, but still works, making me wonder which company did it.

Its an amazing phenomenon. If you take an impossibly-round cone, cut into a frustum thereof at an equal altitude aproximately 1/3 that of the width of the cone, then place a concave basin in it perhaps 1/2 the depth of the total, then move the light source to "natural", the "dimpled-cone" startlingly turns into an apparent crater, with a convex mound in its center.!

It is an amazing illustration in texts. This "wrong" (315 degree) light source that *works* to the human eye is of course about 135 degreea off of naturally-occuring southerly azimuthal range, which produces the reversal of relief in many but not all models. Weird.

Well... having attempted for amusement to distract from my ignorance of the song..., thanks for the lyrics in the song but again, but what's the source in Lightfoot's library ?

thanks John,-- Steve

charlene 04-02-2006 09:30 AM

the song is CABARET.

charlene 04-02-2006 09:30 AM

the song is CABARET.

Jesse Joe 04-02-2006 10:26 AM

The song is "CABARET", from the CD "Sumertime Dream", released on reprise records, released in 1971.

Jesse Joe 04-02-2006 10:26 AM

The song is "CABARET", from the CD "Sumertime Dream", released on reprise records, released in 1971.

Jesse Joe 04-02-2006 10:32 AM

"SORRY" I MEANT "SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE" IN 1971 ON REPRISE RECORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse Joe 04-02-2006 10:32 AM

"SORRY" I MEANT "SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE" IN 1971 ON REPRISE RECORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnfowles 04-02-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

hmm in order to thwart this possible embarassment, I will distract from my lack of knowledge on this with a deft and totally non-germaine change of subject, and bore you.

An extremely interesting, not to say excruciating treatise Steve although I doubt if any of us understood a word of it or are any the wiser!!
Quote:

May I ask the web address of the site this came from; my eyes don't serve down in the lower right (...).com ....Steve

That is an exceedingly easy question Steve, all you had to do was right click on the picture that I displayed and select properties this will show that the picture's address is a long winded:-
http://maps.fallingrain.com/perl/map.cgi?kind=illum&scale=-4&x=480&y=360&xcenter=-117.6503&ycenter=34.0942&lat=34.0942&long=-117.6503&name=North%20Ontario&c=&lat=34.0916&long=-117. 7818&name=KPOC&c=&lat=34.1115&long=-117.6876&name=KCCB&c=&lat=33.9747&long=-117.6366&name=KCNO&c=&lat=33.8977&long=-117.6024&name=KAJO&c=&lat=34.056&long=-117.6012&name=KONT&c=&lat =33.9519&long=-117.4451&name=KRAL&c=&lat=33.9897&long=-117.4106&name=KRIR&c=

I had found this map after a simple google search for "north ontario" ca map
one of the search results was this page:-
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/US/...h_Ontario.html
featuring the map I displayed
It was not exactly what I was looking for as it did not itself show where North Ontario is in the greater LA area (I had previously, being interested in all things aviation connected known that one of the LA area airports was called Ontario, and found Ontario and its "North" breakaway on my trusty Randy McNally US atlas so, I knew where it was).
But I could find nothing better and I was pleasantly surprised to find that that map had its own address, meaning it could be displayed on corfid
One day when talking to Gord with luck I might remember to tackle Gord on this theory (and also ask why he called it "cabaret"
Unfortuneately as this superb song was one of those that failed to make it onto the songbook (box set) collection there is no explanation by Gord as there is for the 88 songs as listed on the archived booklet page at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200307290...5802lin5.lasso
John Fowles
I thought maybe somebody on the newsgroup had given a reason for the song title but although "catwoman" asked back in 1998 no definitive answer was forthcoming, only Derek Kidd's very first full description of the story behind his notorious Zippo lighter theory the thread is well worth reading at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...6ae43ae5e37d84

johnfowles 04-02-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

hmm in order to thwart this possible embarassment, I will distract from my lack of knowledge on this with a deft and totally non-germaine change of subject, and bore you.

An extremely interesting, not to say excruciating treatise Steve although I doubt if any of us understood a word of it or are any the wiser!!
Quote:

May I ask the web address of the site this came from; my eyes don't serve down in the lower right (...).com ....Steve

That is an exceedingly easy question Steve, all you had to do was right click on the picture that I displayed and select properties this will show that the picture's address is a long winded:-
http://maps.fallingrain.com/perl/map.cgi?kind=illum&scale=-4&x=480&y=360&xcenter=-117.6503&ycenter=34.0942&lat=34.0942&long=-117.6503&name=North%20Ontario&c=&lat=34.0916&long=-117. 7818&name=KPOC&c=&lat=34.1115&long=-117.6876&name=KCCB&c=&lat=33.9747&long=-117.6366&name=KCNO&c=&lat=33.8977&long=-117.6024&name=KAJO&c=&lat=34.056&long=-117.6012&name=KONT&c=&lat =33.9519&long=-117.4451&name=KRAL&c=&lat=33.9897&long=-117.4106&name=KRIR&c=

I had found this map after a simple google search for "north ontario" ca map
one of the search results was this page:-
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/US/...h_Ontario.html
featuring the map I displayed
It was not exactly what I was looking for as it did not itself show where North Ontario is in the greater LA area (I had previously, being interested in all things aviation connected known that one of the LA area airports was called Ontario, and found Ontario and its "North" breakaway on my trusty Randy McNally US atlas so, I knew where it was).
But I could find nothing better and I was pleasantly surprised to find that that map had its own address, meaning it could be displayed on corfid
One day when talking to Gord with luck I might remember to tackle Gord on this theory (and also ask why he called it "cabaret"
Unfortuneately as this superb song was one of those that failed to make it onto the songbook (box set) collection there is no explanation by Gord as there is for the 88 songs as listed on the archived booklet page at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200307290...5802lin5.lasso
John Fowles
I thought maybe somebody on the newsgroup had given a reason for the song title but although "catwoman" asked back in 1998 no definitive answer was forthcoming, only Derek Kidd's very first full description of the story behind his notorious Zippo lighter theory the thread is well worth reading at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...6ae43ae5e37d84

geodeticman 04-03-2006 03:25 AM

My God I am embarrased not to realize we were speaking of Cabaret with regard to the North Ontario thing. In the midst of so much context of Cabaret all around it you'd think I'd have made the connection.. Very embarrasing. I know the song, the album, but never connected North Ontario.

John, yes good thinking on the Ontario airport, I'm sure most of us have been diverted to Ontario from LAX at one time or another.

Thanks for replying to my attempt at humorous map treatise (but true)to distract fom my ignorance as I think I put it, but the thing about: "this was an eceedingly simple......[right click and properties} thing John was a bit embarrasing....

These are the kind if things I am re-learning and get caught-up on in "oops" ways a lot. But, you put it most tastefully... (the fact I missed the exceedingly simple solution) hehe lol . Thanks for the tips as they really do help me remember how to operate windows.

fitting for my attempt to divert from my ignorance with the "treatise" LOL . Actually, the relief reversal thing is a fascinating thing, and you DID pull one up.... oh well....

I should know by now even after lampooning myself that if I digress into talking shop mappy style, I still think here and there that sometime SOME of this stuff wull really be of interest to someone other than map-heads like me.

oh sure... there are plenty of GIS and map forums i go to ... but they are not Lightheads !! and as such I deem them deficit.....j/k. sorry for the exruciating treatise.... hhehe .

John did u read my alt.music.lightfoot postulation on the "mystery sound in Cabaret ? (proof I know the song? mine was a spoof but DID contain a pop-top real guess too. AND...an OHIO blue-tio match being struck on 3-days growth , AND .... a cork being pulled on a bottle of champagne with the giggling sparkle of Swiss maidens blushed yet pleased by the attention of the rural swains... [Trevanian again on the Swiss maidens verbage] see in alt.music.lightfoot under Dunbar search: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...185d7856841d80

OOPS dang it I forget how to get that to paste in a hyperlink format... and it BETTER not be exruciatingly simple....LOL i am sure it is alas.
thanks later - Steve

ps thanks Charlene and Lightland too ! :)

geodeticman 04-03-2006 03:27 AM

Oh yes I know it automatically converts it to hyperlink format.. i know that yup yup. just testin' yall. - Steve

Cathy 04-03-2006 06:44 AM

Quote:

[snip]

These are the kind if things I am re-learning and get caught-up on in "oops" ways a lot. But, you put it most tastefully... (the fact I missed the exceedingly simple solution) hehe lol . Thanks for the tips as they really do help me remember how to operate windows.

[snippity snippy snip]

Steve, isn't amazing how easy this stuff was when you originally learned it on a young, undamaged brain, and how incredibly confusing it is now?

Hang in there. I'm seeing improvements in every one of your posts.

johnfowles 04-03-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cathy:
quote:Originally posted by geodeticman:

[snip]

[snippity snippy snip]

Steve, isn't amazing how easy this stuff was when you originally learned it on a young, undamaged brain, and how incredibly confusing it is now?

[/QUOTE]Oh dear Cathy are you talking aboat sex or what?
As one who has sufferred an insult to the brain,it is almost impossible now to recall that but 6 short yesrs ago I could not touch my right shoulder with my left hand let alone move that hand's fingers. Unfortunately I was left handed , but luckily in my youth had played around trying to write with my right hand, so now although I can still not write with my left (it is possible but damn hard), and my right hand writing is largely illegible, I can still hunt and peck with my RH index finger.
http://www.ngaruawahiahigh.school.nz...ick_lg_wht.gif

I also think I forgot very little, in fact my biggest fear whilst rcovering was that for any sort of left hand activity I would have to go back to square one and for example relearn how to even form letters. I was mightily relieved when I found that that was not necesary.
John Fowles
also fortunately as it transpired I had never invested in one of these:-
http://www.onehandedkeyboard.com/ima...r/leftkeyb.gif

johnfowles 04-03-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cathy:
quote:Originally posted by geodeticman:

[snip]

[snippity snippy snip]

[/QUOTE]Oh dear Cathy are you talking aboat sex or what?
As one who has sufferred an insult to the brain,it is almost impossible now to recall that but 6 short yesrs ago I could not touch my right shoulder with my left hand let alone move that hand's fingers. Unfortunately I was left handed , but luckily in my youth had played around trying to write with my right hand, so now although I can still not write with my left (it is possible but damn hard), and my right hand writing is largely illegible, I can still hunt and peck with my RH index finger.
http://www.ngaruawahiahigh.school.nz...ick_lg_wht.gif

I also think I forgot very little, in fact my biggest fear whilst rcovering was that for any sort of left hand activity I would have to go back to square one and for example relearn how to even form letters. I was mightily relieved when I found that that was not necesary.
John Fowles
also fortunately as it transpired I had never invested in one of these:-
http://www.onehandedkeyboard.com/ima...r/leftkeyb.gif

Cathy 04-03-2006 11:04 AM

No, I'm not talking about sex. That was in another thread.

I was lucky. With therapy, I really didn't have much trouble with movement after the first two or three months. I'm still a little shaky at times when walking. It's a balance thing, but it seems to be improving.

One of my doctors told me the reason I got most of my movement back had something to do with being a musician. I guess musicians often develop both sides of the brain. I still think it has a lot to do with being forced to use my right hand, even though I'm a natural lefty.

Eeeek! I'm definitely not left handed enough to use that keyboard!