Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lightfoot painting by Liam Jones (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=18755)

charlene 07-31-2008 10:06 AM

Lightfoot painting by Liam Jones

Links to painting by Liam Jones, son of our own Ron Jones.

Liam is a multi talented young lad - see for yourself at his Ebay website:

http://stores.ebay.ca/Liam-Jones-Fine-Art

and his website:

http://liamjones.ca/

Lightfoot pic:click on picture for more info:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120288324046

Liam has also had several of his pieces displayed on the side of a Toronto building this summer. Click on the photo below the one of Lightfoot for info. Hopefully Liam took some pics of them!

imported_Next_Saturday 07-31-2008 01:30 PM

Re: Lightfoot painting by Liam Jones

Here would be the link to the painting:

http://www.liamjones.ca/painting_of_...htfoot_don.htm

brink- 07-31-2008 03:04 PM

Liam thinks I am a man. :( LOL

charlene 07-31-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brink- (Post 141035)

oh dear..i'm sure he assumes the winner and the person who sent the pics is one gentleman..not knowing it was a lovely young lady like yourself who provided the pics..
;)

jj 07-31-2008 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by podunklander (Post 141031)
Nice to see his work, I really like it - thanks Char! Gordon playing lefty-guitar...that's different!

whether left or right handed, I feel it's a wonderful work of art and I really find Liam's style(s) appealng ....Ron has good reason to be proud

hoping not to divert the thread but speaking of left-handed-ness, I've finally concluded my kid is left-handed and myself, being right-handed (except in hockey or in the batter's box), I find it a challenge to encourage him as to how to grip a paintbrush or pastel a bit more 'normally' than he's been doing...anyhow, a light bulb went on and I am now using a mirror reflection to show him by example and it work pretty good actually

I don't know if he'll be a left handed guitar player...I wondered if anyone has a left handed piano, you know, where the pitch gets higher instead of lower as you move to the left...a tuner is coming over tomorrow and for a kick I'm going to ask him if he can tune it that way (just to check out the blank look that should appear on his face:) )

ok, enough of that....all the best with the site and buyer bids, Liam!
(and I trust the image edit I toyed with is not perceived as a defacing of this masterpiece in the slightest)

charlene 07-31-2008 11:07 PM

I've just replayed (in my mind) your visit here with young Harrison..as you played piano and he worked on puzzle I gave him I recall him using his left hand much of the time..

but I was so taken with his dialogue/wit and questions etc. I didn't pay much attention..

Left handed piano - yes I have one - you were playing it..we can work on price..100 yr. old Heintzman..dust collector..
;)
lol

johnfowles 08-01-2008 12:18 PM

Interesting. there is quite a large proportion of the population who are not so sinister and are sometimes referred to as being "gauche".Up until my stroke in 2000 I was firmly left handed although as a youth I had often tried writing with both hands simultaneously the left hand normal and with the right creating a mirror image.My stroke was caused by a blood clot in my right carotid artery in my neck which cut off the supply to the right side of my brain, thereby killing a heap of brain cells on that side which controls the left side of the body, so I was temporarily paralised on my left side and my left shoulder dropped. this still causes me problems in using my right arm and hand.However the brain's left side controls functions such as speech . OK I mumbled before the stroke too.Although I recovered most of the use of my left side I can no longer write left handed and my right hand writing is barely legible. being left handed was no real problem. there were a few major awkwardnesses though, which I'll recount in case it helps Harrison
In junior school when first writing with an ink pen instead of a pencil I had to use a blotting pad towed along under my left hand palm (else I tended to smudge the ink before it dried)
Using a pair of scissors (you actually only use one at a time!!) was a pain and although you can buy left handed ones I could never adapt to them.
As a young cadet in our school army cadet force I found the right handed bolt levers on standard rifles hard to use when reloading
When I borrowed a friend's guitar in the 1960's to try to learn I omitted to restring it left handed and by the time I realised that restringing might have helped my totally inept right hand finger picking and strummimg it was too late, because my more agile left hand fingers had got used to their use as chord clampers. Nowadays my relatively stiff left hand fingers simply cannot get around the fret in a reliable fashion
If Harrision ever plays cricket he would find that batting left handed can cause consternation for the fielders!!
Similarly there is some advantage in being a south paw for confusing opponents in tennis and badminton games
Cricket what's cricket???
http://classroomclipart.com/images/g...rt/cricket.gif
try:-
The Rules of Cricket
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in (the pavilion).
. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. This process is carried out twice , each occasion being called an "inning"., not an "outing"!

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice (the first and second innings obviously) after all the men have been in twice , including those who are not out, that is the end of the game, Oh yes at some convenient time when they are all "out" or should that be in?
they stop for tea
adapted from:-
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/bo...5/cricrule.htm

brink- 08-01-2008 11:49 PM

Thank you MS Char for the lovely young lady comment - you must have been into the wine cabinet :D

I am also left handed, and back in the day could write with both hands although the left was always prominent. I agree John about the scissors. I didn't like trying to cut "upside down" but when I did buy a set of lefty scissors they were terrible. I used to cut meat with my left hand and then have to switch the fork into my left hand to eat, I have finally mastered cutting wth the right hand. I don't write holding my hand curled around, the only time my father went to talk to my teachers was when they tried to force me to be right handed. The nuns forced him. He told the teachers that they were going to learn to teach left handed - and they did. But I always had ink on the side of my left hand.
Eating is a trial of it's own. If you are sitting at a table you must be seated either next to another lefty or on the end so you aren't bumping elbows.

brink- 08-02-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 141042)
whether left or right handed, I feel it's a wonderful work of art and I really find Liam's style(s) appealng ....Ron has good reason to be proud

hoping not to divert the thread but speaking of left-handed-ness, I've finally concluded my kid is left-handed and myself, being right-handed (except in hockey or in the batter's box), I find it a challenge to encourage him as to how to grip a paintbrush or pastel a bit more 'normally' than he's been doing...anyhow, a light bulb went on and I am now using a mirror reflection to show him by example and it work pretty good actually

I don't know if he'll be a left handed guitar player...I wondered if anyone has a left handed piano, you know, where the pitch gets higher instead of lower as you move to the left...a tuner is coming over tomorrow and for a kick I'm going to ask him if he can tune it that way (just to check out the blank look that should appear on his face:) )

ok, enough of that....all the best with the site and buyer bids, Liam!
(and I trust the image edit I toyed with is not perceived as a defacing of this masterpiece in the slightest)

That was pretty neat JJ. I would ask how you did it, but I wouldn't understand. I am impressed though.

When I learned to knit (and not very well mind you) I sat across the room from the woman that was teachng me. That seemed to help. I wasn't close enough to try to copy exactly, but I was close enough to see what she was doing and learn how to do it.

I agree about Ron being proud, Liam did a great job. Ron said that he had forgotten to do something for the raffle, or ran out of time and he quickly put this together. I was fortunate enough to get visitation rights with it last year. But Richard of Vancouver Island was the winner of the painting. I wish Liam much success in his artistic endeavours, he is so talented.
[/I]

jj 08-02-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brink- (Post 141088)
That was pretty neat JJ. I would ask how you did it, but I wouldn't understand

it's magic, lol...yes you would, easy when you use mirrors ;)

I just used mirror feature on my post production software while leaving the GL and LJ writing as is...the trick was discreetly blending the layers back together

hey, I am printing out this thread for more thorough reading (which is what usually happens when I get away from the monitor)...thanks to all your contributions, all you southpaws, by choice or necessity, intriguing!

...the contribution Liam made in helping to raise and donate fund to HHSC cannot be praised enough....I hope his art comes to be fully appreciated by critics as well as the masses, especailly during his lifetime:)

Borderstone 08-02-2008 06:55 PM

Well,left handed or right handed playing aside,it's still great that someone think enough of Gordon to immortalize him in a painting. ;)

That's something that you'd think on only Elvis or The Beatles would have done for them.

The painting totally rocks! :biggrin: ...and i don't use expressions like that often. :)

jj 08-03-2008 09:16 AM

a couple of notes re painting (versus my taking us a bit off track):

in one style, I like how Liam paints the music rather than the musician

I particularily like the Voyage Across masterpiece...I have enough space for 1/5th of that, lol

I've an artistic brother who was influenced by our uncle who partnered with Jack Bush
as a wee one, I never really dug his work but mom advised me not to tell Mr. Bush that, lol

I was taught to paint 'ok' by this interesting man, who I see has gone on and done well
http://barryoretsky.com/collectionofworks.html
I saw many of these works in our class and at his studio while they were in progress, stunning - it's impressive that Liam was self taught and i love the advice 'dad' gave:)

I painted the musician rather than the music, lol (eg. Glenn Gould, Gabriel & Collins)

would love to meet Liam one day and chew the fat...hope to see Ron within the month ....any of Liam's music online by chance?

charlene 08-03-2008 10:46 AM

I love Liam's stuff..the colours are wonderful.
There's a couple of bare walls in my den right now..hmmm..
I know Ron will be in town in a short time and for the beginning of the EX..
If at all possible I hope to meet up with him..and you! maybe we can all get together...
I'm home from NS on the 21st..

Keep me posted James and Ron..

Liam 08-03-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brink- (Post 141035)

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!! I'll correct that right away.

Well, it's long overdue, my posting in these threads here. I just have to say thanks everybody for being so supportive and wonderful. My dad is in good company!

I'll be in touch!

Liam

Cathy 08-03-2008 05:58 PM

I'm a lefty, too. In grade school, I wrote on the blackboard with either hand, and didn't notice I was switching until the teacher pointed it out to me. I can write fairly well with my right hand, but prefer the left. Brink, I know what you mean by smudging the ink on a paper. We do that because, even though we're left handed, we place the paper as a right handed person would, top pointing left. We should place it top pointing right, so we're pulling the pen instead of pushing it.

I play the guitar, fiddle and banjo right handed. I think the only instrument I originally played left handed was the drum set in high school, but I trained myself to play right handed, because changing it around to left was just too much of a pain. As far as guitar goes, I didn't actually know any better. All the guitars in the house were for right handed people, and I learned on those. I didn't even know there was such thing as a left handed guitar.

John and Brink, just out of curiosity, what were your favorite subjects in school? I've heard that left handed people tend to prefer science and math.

Cathy

Cathy 08-04-2008 06:07 PM

That's so ridiculous. Having only one arm is enough of a disability. Let the kid write with the arm she's most comfortable with. I really think these people who demand that a left handed person write with their right hand is doing more damage than good to the kid. I had a teacher in the second grade who used to rip the pencil out of my left hand and force me to write with my right hand. As soon as she turned her back, the pencil went back into my left hand. It was an ongoing battle, until Dad called her and told her to leave me alone. She never bothered me again, and none of my other teachers seemed to notice.

Cathy

brink- 08-04-2008 09:35 PM

Cathy, I hated Math, but ended up in professions that use math a lot. Science and history were my favorites.

brink- 08-04-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam (Post 141122)
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!! I'll correct that right away.

Well, it's long overdue, my posting in these threads here. I just have to say thanks everybody for being so supportive and wonderful. My dad is in good company!

I'll be in touch!

Liam

No worries!! Just kidding around. Richard won the painting but was nice enough to allow me to have it for a few months. I took the pictures after Gord signed it and sent them to your dad.

Fantastic work you do. We love it.

charlene 08-04-2008 10:50 PM

Hey Liam - did you take any pics of your work that was broadcast down at the Distillery? I couldn't make it down and would love to see any pics you might have..

Hope I can make a get together when your dad is in town and see you then..
Char

lighthead2toe 08-05-2008 01:02 PM

Hi Char. Tomorrow at 7AM the silver bird will be on high and I am so looking forward to getting on board that plane to take me back, now where's that at? Well it's good ol' TO of course.
This gig has a bit of an agenda attached including weddings, reunions, fishing trips, dental work ( my faithful dentist I've had for thirty years still in Toronto), more weddings, and even musical gigs. A little discord within the harmony you might say.
Of course the friends and family thing will be a big part and I hope to get to see as many of the folks in our circle as possible. Will touch base with you when you arrive back from your holiday. Till then it's on with the "Summertime Dream." Cheers, RJ.

charlene 08-05-2008 01:38 PM

I'll be saying "Farewell to Nova Scotia" on the 20th.. and the silver wing on high will bring me back to the skyline of Toronto..
talk to ya shortly after that boy-o..
;)

Liam 08-05-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brink- (Post 141164)
No worries!! Just kidding around. Richard won the painting but was nice enough to allow me to have it for a few months. I took the pictures after Gord signed it and sent them to your dad.

Fantastic work you do. We love it.

Ah, I see now! I'm glad I wasn't having a seniors moment. I remembered dad telling me it was a guy who won the painting-- I was beginning to think maybe it was the same troublesome voice in my head that tells me to buy expensive sugary breakfast cereals and drink espresso after seven o'clock at night-- not to be trusted!

Dad says "Discord with the harmony".. har har har!!! Dad, I gotcher cd right here!!! (waves said cd in the air so dad can see it from the airplane)
I'll be ready for you when you're in Toronto. Gosh, it's only been-- what... two years in waiting? yikes! :rolleyes:

I listen to it between Miles Davis and some killer Dylan albums I just borrowed.

Anyhoo, ciao!
Liam

Liam 08-05-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 141170)
Hey Liam - did you take any pics of your work that was broadcast down at the Distillery? I couldn't make it down and would love to see any pics you might have..

Hope I can make a get together when your dad is in town and see you then..
Char

Hey Char! Would you believe I didn't even make it to the Fido Spot yet? I've been so busy, it just hasn't been a priority. Neither has been eating, or wearing deoderant... (sniff... ewww!!!):p

I'll try and make it down in the next week and if I do, I'll surely bring the camera. Hope to see you soon!
Liam

Cathy 08-09-2008 11:37 AM

Brink, I agree with you. Science and history were my favorites, too. My favorite class of all times was Art History. Physics and geometry were a close second.

Cathy