Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   4 Lightfoot Songs on Toronto AM 740's "Zoomer 300 List" of "Essential Classic Songs" (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=19445)

Off Yonge Street 03-15-2009 08:16 PM

4 Lightfoot Songs on Toronto AM 740's "Zoomer 300 List" of "Essential Classic Songs"

AM 740, a Toronto radio station, has posted its "Zoomer 300" list of "the essential classic songs in a Zoomer's music library".

AM 740's website (www.am740.ca) states that "[t]his list features the key recording artists and their most enduring music at the core of AM 740; including big band swing classics, crooners, early rockers, legendary stars, and singer-songwriters -- Americans, Brits, and outstanding Canadians as well."

Four Lightfoot songs - "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", "If You Could Read My Mind", "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - are included on the "Zoomer 300" list.

AM 740's website encourages people to vote for their 10 favourite songs among the 300. AM 740's website states that AM 740 will "play the list, in order, during Easter Week in April". (You can listen to AM 740 on the radio or via the internet.)

I have already voted (and included the four Lightfoot songs among my 10 favourites), but it isn't too late for others to vote.

If the following link to the list doesn't work for you, you should be able to access the list fairly easily by going to AM 740's website (listed above):
http://www.am740.ca/site/lobby.cfm?zmersng=1.

charlene 03-15-2009 08:29 PM

Re: 4 Lightfoot Songs on Toronto AM 740's "Zoomer 300 List" of "Essential Classic Son

I get the ZOOMER mag every month and saw the AM740radio thing in it but forgot about it..
I'll have to vote now..

they also have a Lobby concert series that's quite good. Last week another of Bernie Fiedlers clients (Gord is one) was performing - PAVLO . it was great to watch online..it's not listed yet tho. Murray McLaughlin is there..Judy Collins was listed earler this week.

http://www.am740.ca/site/lobby.cfm

bjm7777 03-15-2009 10:19 PM

Re: 4 Lightfoot Songs on Toronto AM 740's "Zoomer 300 List" of "Essential Classic Son

How timely is this? After the polls on here that we voted on.....

Off Yonge Street 03-18-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 149861)
I get the ZOOMER mag every month and saw the AM740radio thing in it but forgot about it..
I'll have to vote now..

they also have a Lobby concert series that's quite good. Last week another of Bernie Fiedlers clients (Gord is one) was performing - PAVLO . it was great to watch online..it's not listed yet tho. Murray McLaughlin is there..Judy Collins was listed earler this week.

http://www.am740.ca/site/lobby.cfm

It would be nice if the Zoomer magazine did a feature story on GL in an upcoming issue.

By the way, Charlene, thanks very much for all of the work you do in running this website and moderating this forum.

Thanks, also, for taking the time to vote in AM 740's poll. (I'd love to see GL's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" finally make a "Top 40" list.) I realize that this is a Lightfoot forum, but I'm curious to know the titles of the six (or possibly more) non-Lightfoot songs that you voted for.

jj 03-18-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Yonge Street (Post 150024)
I realize that this is a Lightfoot forum, but I'm curious to know the titles of the six (or possibly more) non-Lightfoot songs that you voted for.

you know it would be a chore but i was curious to ask our members to list the 6 non-GL tracks themselves, as sort of a poll....fave songs and films can say much about a member (and then again, sometimes nothing at all)

as I've posted many times, i am a 740 guy... john gallagher used to play goal for us in late night beer/shinny... but i'm actually a norm edwards fan

so many cheesy tracks, hard to choose:)

charlene 03-18-2009 09:38 PM

I voted for a couple of Leonard Cohen tunes, Norwegian Wood/The Beatles, a couple of Van Morrison, Four Strong Winds/Ian and Sylvia, IYCRMM, Sundown, Garden Party/Ricky Nelson, Snowbird/Anne Murray.

wish it was 20..sometimes I love cheesy.. ;)

I know I don't love Gallagher..pompous arrogance along with being egomaniacal does nothing for me. :p

RM 03-18-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 150025)
fave songs and films can say much about a member (and then again, sometimes nothing at all)

Really ??? Who would have thought ?........

Just messin' with ya.........I couldn't find Springsteen on the list........

patybear 03-19-2009 09:40 AM

Wow,its going to be tough for me to pick just 10.There are so many good songs listed there.Decisions,decisions.I guess I'll have to think about it for a while,then decide.Thanks for posting this.
patybear

Borderstone 03-19-2009 04:13 PM

10 out of all those songs?? :eek: !

I can't choose,no way.

Off Yonge Street 03-21-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlene (Post 150029)
I voted for a couple of Leonard Cohen tunes, Norwegian Wood/The Beatles, a couple of Van Morrison, Four Strong Winds/Ian and Sylvia, IYCRMM, Sundown, Garden Party/Ricky Nelson, Snowbird/Anne Murray.

Thanks, Charlene, for sharing the information about how you voted.

Given that GL's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" did not make the list of the moderator of this great Lightfoot forum, it seems unlikely that "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" will make the "Top 40" of AM 740's "Zoomer 300" list!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 150025)
you know it would be a chore but i was curious to ask our members to list the 6 non-GL tracks themselves, as sort of a poll....fave songs and films can say much about a member (and then again, sometimes nothing at all)

In addition to the four GL tracks, I voted for the following six songs:

All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
Garden Party - Rick Nelson
In the Mood - Glenn Miller
Just the Way You Are - Billy Joel
Penny Lane - Beatles
Piano Man - Billy Joel

I am very interested to learn about how others voted.

Also, I continue to encourage Lightfoot fans to vote in AM 740's poll and let their voices be heard. (If the Lightfoot songs do well in the poll, AM 740's program managers may be more inclined to continue to play Lightfoot's songs quite frequently.) For those of you who are not familiar with AM 740, the station airs many different Lightfoot tracks and also regularly plays several different cover versions of Lightfoot's songs.

Carefree Fan 04-12-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Yonge Street (Post 150099)
I am very interested to learn about how others voted.

Although I am a big Lightfoot fan, "If You Could Read My Mind" was the only song of his that I selected among as my top 10 choices on the
Zoomer 300 list. Some of the other songs I voted for were:

"Garden Party" by Ricky Nelson
"San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie
"Mr. Tambourine Man" by the Byrds
"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago

Off Yonge Street 04-12-2009 09:08 PM

Yesterday, the Toronto radio station AM 740 completed the countdown of its "Zoomer 300" list of the "essential classic songs in a Zoomer's music library".

AM 740 played the list in order based on the number of votes received for each of the 300 songs. (For several weeks, listeners of AM 740 were able to vote for their 10 favourite songs among the full list of 300.)

The four Lightfoot songs ("Canadian Railroad Trilogy", "If You Could Read My Mind", "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald") fared quite well in the voting, with three of the four songs ranking in the top 65 of the list.

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" ranked # 44; "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" ranked # 51; "If You Could Read My Mind" ranked # 63; and "Sundown" ranked #166.

I was a bit surprised that "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" ranked ahead of "If You Could Read My Mind". (Although I consider "The Wreck fo the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" to be two of Lightfoot's greatest songs (and perhaps his two greatest songs), neither one if among my very favourite Lightfoot songs.)

In case anyone is interested, the top 10 songs on the "Zoomer 300" list were as follows: # 1 - "Crazy" (Patsy Cline); # 2 - "What a Wonderful World" (Louis Armstrong); # 3 - "Unchained Melody" (Righteous Brothers); # 4 - "In the Mood" (Glenn Miller); # 5 - "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (Simon & Garfunkle); # 6 - "At Last" (Etta James); # 7 - "Can't Help Falling in Love" (Elvis Presley); # 8 - "Moonlight Serenade" (Glenn Miller); # 9 - "Crying" (Roy Orbison); and # 10 - "American Pie" (Don McLean).

The full list of the "Zoomer 300" songs (in order of popularity) can be accessed via the following link: http://zoomers.ca/profiles/blogs/you...-countdown-the.