Gordon Lightfoot Forums

Gordon Lightfoot Forums (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//index.php)
-   Small Talk (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Was Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight (http://www.corfid.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=20554)

MistyMoppens 01-03-2010 03:33 AM

Was Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight

It was REALLY scary...

Jesse Joe 01-03-2010 07:59 AM

Re: Was Robbed At Gunpoint Tonight

Glad to see your ok M M but what a way to start a new year...

Stay safe & all the best to you !

podunklander 01-03-2010 11:34 AM

OMGOMG that's HORRIBLE!!! Glad you weren't seriously hurt. And hope all your belongings are recovered and that person is found and arrested! Also hope you decide against the gun :( though.

formerlylavender 01-03-2010 11:44 AM

How awful! I'm so sorry to hear this. Thankfully you weren't hurt badly or worse. I hope you get your belongings back too and that they find the perpetrator. So scary!

charlene 01-03-2010 12:13 PM

How awful! I'm glad to hear you are not more seriously physically hurt but perhaps you should speak with a crisis counselor this week.
Hopefully the police will do their job with such good descriptions you gave..

Auburn Annie 01-03-2010 01:33 PM

Glad to hear you're safe. My sister in Atlanta was confronted in broad daylight in a Sears parking lot by a young female with a baseball bat leveled at her head. Mary, whose adrenaline was flowing for about a week afterwards, stared her down and the girl finally took off, getting into a waiting car with a man in it. She figures it was her first attempt. The cops were also amazed at her detailed description but Mary has a photographic memory and could describe her down to her size 8 silver sneakers.

She was probably after the cash and drugs, maybe selling your credit cards for a few bucks. I always keep a copy of my credit card numbers and the phone number to contact for lost or stolen cards on a (password-protected) flashdrive at home.

Contact any one of the three major credit bureaus (see below) and put a fraud alert on your accounts for at least 90 days; they contact each other so you only have to do it once, and if you are a crime victim it should not cost you a dime. You may even want to put a temporary freeze on your credit accounts, which should also be free (so no one can use your ID to open new accounts in your name.)

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

Experian: 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742); www.experian.com; P.O. Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

If the stolen information includes your driver's license or other government-issued identification, contact the agencies that issued the documents (like the DMV) and follow their procedures to cancel a document and get a replacement. Ask the agency to "flag" your file to keep anyone else from getting a license or another identification document in your name. Same with any banking information, your pharmacy, and your doctors. Cleaning up a medical identity crime is complicated and time-consuming. You should immediately notify your health insurer, give them a copy of the police report and, as appropriate, send copies of the police report along with a letter to inform insurers, healthcare providers and credit bureaus. Ultimately, you should have any errors in your various medical files corrected.

Change the locks on your doors and add deadbolts if you didn't have them. For your own peace of mind a security system can be set up for not a lot of money. Contact your credit card companies and tell them what happened; close the old cards and ask for new cards; they may require a copy of the police report.

If you are a homeowner or even a renter, check your insurance policy to see if it covers expenses incurred due to the theft and assault (like replacing stolen car keys, which can get expensive to replace.) Notify your cell provider that any calls after whatever the date and time your cell was stolen are not yours. You may want to give a heads up to the folks whose numbers were on your cell, in case they get weird calls.

See the FTC site for lots of information: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/

KHester 01-03-2010 01:38 PM

Misty,
Sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal. At least your safe. I can imagine all the thoughts going through your head even now. As for a firearm I say go for it , of course take some training. It will take take time for everything to come back together for you contacting and canceling, and getting everything replaced. May the rest of the year be peaceful.
Yes Gord's music does have a way of bringing peace and solitude back.

God Bless

Kevin

"Cast all you cares upon Him, for He cares for you"
1 Peter 5:7

RM 01-03-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistyMoppens (Post 157723)
Some Amazon Woman

Are you sure that wasn't a Somali pirate ?

Good luck.....please heed Auburn Annie's advice.

charlene 01-03-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM (Post 157739)
Are you sure that wasn't a Somali pirate ?

Good luck.....please heed Auburn Annie's advice.

ok - coffee all over the place..
lol

brink- 01-03-2010 03:03 PM

If you couldn't get to your can of mace I doubt that you would have been able to get to your gun.
Be sure to also get the locks changed on your cars. she has your address and your car keys.
The weapons class I was in said that women carry far too much in their purses. They should always empty their purse when they get home and only take the basics, one credit card and limited amounts of cash. I don't carry a purse so I travel light. My keys are attached to my belt loop and my gun is in my sweatshirt pocket. Some cash and a credit card in my pants pocket. Any insurance cards, registration or meds are in a small locked drawer in the very back of my van, manufactures hid it well. I leave nothing out in the open in my car that has my address on it. At all times I have 8 dogs (I have a rescue, I am not a hoarder) at my house and a .38 to back them up. Anyone who stole my car or my id would be wise to stay away.
MM your purse must have weighed a ton. It could have been a weapon in itself.
Glad you are okay, and hope the cops are moving on finding her.

Auburn Annie 01-04-2010 04:13 AM

You're welcome - sorry you needed it. It's a pain to replace everything but your Amazon doesn't sound like the brightest bulb on the marquee - too strung out to do much beyond the basics. Sorry to say she was probably making a living hooking on the streets until her face melted with the meth. Her "friends" on the other hand are probably fences and ID thieves who pay her a pittance to get a lot. I like Bryan Cranston but can't watch Breaking Bad because meth and its cousins have such a bad effect on users/dealers/family members and the labs are such a danger to everyone, not to mention an environmental disaster. We get the occasional amateurs driving up from Pennsylvania to pilfer from local farmers' tanks.

With credit cards your loss is limited to $50 per card if you report it right away; debit cards don't have the same protection, depending on issuer. Usually you'll get most, if not everything, back that was in your accounts.

I also carry very little on me: Non-drivers ID, one credit card ($500 limit), my BJs membership card, stamps and $30 cash. I do have an address book with family names and mailing addresses and phone numbers but all of that is already on the internet. I have a pair of password protected 8GB flash drives on which I have family photos and account information (investments, checking, savings, passwords etc.) which I update as needed and leave the most recent one in my safe deposit box, so once in a while I might have that in my purse but they're going to have to know a long ago address that doesn't exist anymore to figure out the password. I never use family names, birthdays, etc but stick to fictional characters or deceased teachers or neighbors from back in the day.

brink- 01-04-2010 05:35 AM

Annie, great idea on the non driver's license ID. I think I will get one, I never thought of that. Also great idea on the flash drives. That will have to go on my list of - to do's asap.

podunklander 01-05-2010 06:55 PM

Keep us posted Misty and I know dealing with a traumatic experience and everything after is very difficult to cope with, but it WILL get better as time goes on.

BILLW 01-05-2010 09:22 PM

Glad that you're OK! Hang in there.

Bill :)

Borderstone 01-06-2010 06:20 PM

Oh my gosh Misty......that is terrifying. I thnak God that you're okay.

I am so glad to hear in, only the wrost that happened is the temporary loss of posessions.

Have you and the police been able to indentify this person yet? I hope so,that perosn doesn't just need to be locked up,they need serious help as well.

Unsettled 1 01-06-2010 09:37 PM

Misty, so sorry to hear about your woes. At least you've kept a sense of humor. Being robbed by a handsome woman would be traumatic enough, but having to endure the stench is simply rude.
Glad your okay.

Brian

Patti 01-06-2010 11:55 PM

Are you still hurt? It's no fun being robbed. Makes you think strange things. I was once robbed by 3 girls. I didn't have much money, and I never told the police, but one good thing happened right afterward. One of the girls ran back to return the money she had taken. Made my day.

charlene 01-07-2010 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=MistyMoppens;157807]Brian,

I'm just still in shock and crying a lot. I'm usually don't cry much but I woke up that way today. I might have to get something from my doctor for anxiety because I'm just trembling all the time and I can't focus on anything..

QUOTE]

This is why you should seek out a crisis counselor-medication is just one way of dealing with this sort of trauma..perhaps even attending some group sessions for people who have had the same sorts of experiences.. medication will make the symptoms seem better but for your psychological health you should speak with someone asap.

Auburn Annie 01-07-2010 09:49 AM

If the officers haven't already pointed you in this direction, check out the state's Victims Compensation Services. If you incur expenses (medical, counseling, etc. not covered by your insurance) you should look into it. In North Carolina the link is at http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/index2...=000003,000016

"Victims Compensation Services

Victims Compensation Services reimburses citizens who suffer medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being an innocent victim of a crime committed in North Carolina. Victims of rape, assault, child sexual abuse, domestic violence, and drunk driving, as well as the families of homicide victims are eligible to apply for financial help.

Since 1987, Victims Compensation Services has assisted innocent victims and their families to heal from the devastating effects of criminal violence with payments for a diversity of needs, including medical care, counseling, lost wages and funerals. Like other compensation programs, North Carolina is a payer of last resort paying for financial losses not covered by other sources, including, but not limited to:

Health Insurance
Auto or disability insurance
Public funds such as Medicaid
Workers Compensation; or
Restitution paid by an offender.
The program does NOT compensate victims for damaged or stolen property or for pain and suffering.

A maximum of $30,000 may be paid for an award, except when the victim dies as a result of the crime. In that case, an additional $5,000 may be paid to the survivors for funeral expenses. Benefits for approved claims are paid directly to a service provider.

While no amount of money can erase the trauma and grief victims suffer, this aid can be crucial in the recovery process. By paying for care that restores victims' physical and mental health, and by replacing lost income for victims who cannot work and for families who lose a breadwinner, compensation programs are helping victims regain their lives and their financial stability."

podunklander 01-07-2010 03:38 PM

That's great info Auburn A and Misty, I too encourage you to seek services for what you're going through. I agreed with Charlene, medications wouldn't resolve everything and have a lot of side effects too :(.

fezo 01-07-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by podunklander (Post 157813)
That's great info Auburn A and Misty, I too encourage you to seek services for what you're going through. I agreed with Charlene, medications wouldn't resolve everything and have a lot of side effects too :(.

The thought of getting in with a group of folks dealing with the same issues is excellent advice. We have our own little support group when I do chemo. It's not any organized thing - we're all just there because we're getting chemo and you can relate to each other because of the similar issues.

timetraveler 01-09-2010 11:46 PM

After reading your horror story, it reminds me of why I keep certain critical items hidden in what we in my family call our "bank vault". That way, even if my purse were to be jerked off my arm, the most that would get taken would be a couple of bottles of water & some fast food wrappers. I wish you the best in finding the beast that robbed you. I know that times are tough for people, but surely they aren't so bad that one feels that they have to lower theirselves to the level of an animal?

fezo 01-10-2010 05:40 PM

The chemo isn't a bad deal for me. My bone marrow doesn't work right. I'd been doing transfusions every two weeks for a couple of years. With the chemo 7 days a month (actually a bit less than a month) I'm back to making my own blood. No nausea and my hair is still on my head.

I'm at the Jersey shore - actually about 5 miles off the ocean. I like the areas you are talking about moving to. I may well move back to the NW Jersey hills. A slight shot at maybe Tallahassee. I lived there one year and really liked it but I'm pretty attached to where I grew up in those hills.

Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' 01-10-2010 08:58 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, Misty. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Chances are, this low-life b***h will be caught before long, and even if she's not, life's probably already a (deservingly) living hell for her anyway. No doubt they'll nail her if she attempts to use one of the debit cards.

Glad to hear the doctors replaced your medicine free of charge, and also glad that you made it out injury-free.

jj 01-17-2010 12:04 PM

sorry to hear this, kate...hope you're healing

Quote:

Originally Posted by brink- (Post 157741)
My keys are attached to my belt loop and my gun is in my sweatshirt pocket

holy! when we had the McVeigh's hug, i was gonna say 'was THAT a pistol or am i just happy to see you' lol

now, i did see signs at Massey about no video cameras or flash photography...i think guns are still ok

just throwing some nonsense in here but no laughing matter...while i'm no michael moore, i'm also no charleton heston...weapons for self defense make some sense, it's the ones for self-offense that are bothersome

it's just too bad that human confrontations couldn't be settled over something like rock paper scissors

may all member's 2010 be intrusion free