PDA

View Full Version : Why Autographs?

Westernstar9
07-04-2001, 07:11 PM
What does the autograph of a famous person mean to you?

------------------

Mister hoot'n holler
07-05-2001, 12:43 AM
I'm 47 years old and I have only asked for 3 autographs in my whole life. Two from Gord and one from Janis Ian. The one from Janis Ian means little or nothing to me as it appeared that she couldn't care less that I was showing a sincere appreciation for her music as she prefunctorily signed the piece of paper on which I had copied the words to one of her songs on. I still appreciate her music but the autograph is a reminder that she didn't really care about someone who bought a bunch of her albums. As for Gord, those autographs mean a lot to me as Gord showed that he appreciated me as a fan and a record buyer. When I said, "Thank -you for all the great music you have created and shared with us" he said, "Thank you for listening to my music, coming to see me and for buying my albums" There is no monetary value or bragging value to the autographs for me, just the rememberance of a few minutes with someone I respect.

mytoyota@earthlink.net
07-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I only have autographs from Gord and a few of the band members. I've never been an autograph person, but after the first show I really apreciated having one. I had an out of body experience as soon as he came out the door, I was in such awe. The autograph and the pictures are what I had to confirm that I was there.
I really don't feel I need anymore autographs, but don't know if I would offend him if I didn't seem to want one. I really just like being in his presence and hearing him speak.

Kim

------------------
paperback dreams . . .

RBENGALS
07-06-2001, 07:33 PM
I'VE GOT A FEW AUTOGRAPHS ONE FROM JOHNNY RIVERS WHO WAS IN A COMPLETE HURRY AND IT WAS A SCRIBBLE COULDN'T READ IT. THE ONE I LIKE WAS FROM JUICE NEWTON SHE SIGNED THE ALBUM AND PICTURE I HAD SHE WAS SWEET. AND ONE FROM 1981 OR 1982 I WAS A KID AND THE GREAT COACH FOR DEPAULS BASKETBALL TEAM RAY MAYER HAD JUST WON A GAME ON OUR HOMECOURT AND IT WAS A TOUGH GAME AS I GOT CLOSER YOU COULD SEE THE SWEAT ALL OVER HIS FACE AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS A GOOD GAME AND HE SAID TO ME A LITTLE TOO GOOD A LITTLE TO CLOSE KID AS HE WAS WIPING THE SWEAT FROM HIS FOREHEAD AND THE REST OF HIS FACE.

Tom
07-29-2001, 01:34 AM
I used to try and get autographs when I was around 11 or 12 years old. I think I have an autograph of Jimmy Swaggert, Marilyn Turner (wife of "Kelly & Company" TV show), and some Detroit Tiger baseball players. Now, I'm just not that interested in collecting autographs. The only reason I would want an autograph is to prove to my friends that I actually met this person. If I had the chance I'd get Gord's signature, Ronald Reagan's and other famous people I admire.

Selene
09-21-2001, 01:18 PM
autographs. I have a few, only a few, but I do have more than one from Gordon Lightfoot.

Mine is a strange collection, beginning with Alice Cooper, along the way Neil Diamond, Michael Martin Murphey ( I will never forget his bluer than blue eyes) and a friend got me the autographs of the Lightfoot members - I have three other Lightfoot autographs.

Alice's autograph was the first time I ever had nerve enough to ask someone 'famous' for his autograph. It disappeared long ago in a move, but Alice was very sweet to me. Whenever I see him on television, I remember the night we stood together and he made me laugh.

Neil Diamond's was obtained by mail. I think I must have been suffering from an illness when I was a Neil Diamond fan...no, really, when I was a fan Neil was still an angry young man (with all his hair) and I wrote him a poem. His autograph was an acknowledgement of some kind and it still is on display, framed on my 'memory' shelf.

MMM sang a song once that moved me greatly, called "Out in Radioland". And besides that, he was extremely cute!

I didn't want Terry's autograph. I was in an alleyway at the Keswick Theatre and I had a piece of paper in my hand. Terry grabbed it, signed it and gave me a hug. I was in search of bigger game that night, and like MyToyota, I had an out of body experience when I finally looked Gordon Lightfoot in the face. If he hadn't reached for the paper and pen, I would probably still be standing there. What does his autograph mean? It really doesn't mean anything, does it? And yet, it means everything. I believe Gordon Lightfoot is uncomfortable with our 'worship' of him. Sometimes it is difficult to remember that what he does is his job. It is a totally unromantic and pragmatic way to think of it...but true. Although he probably won't remember me ever, my four Lightfoot autographs mean four different things. The first was proof that it could be done, and I did it. The second was on the Songbook book, thanks to a friend. From there on in, it is much too personal to even be able to explain.