PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Lyrics

Dan
05-17-2000, 09:27 PM
I like to hear how we all interpret Lightfoot's lyrics differently. He is certainly a wizard at putting words together, not only to vividly describe a situation or a place but to evoke emotions and memories. Some of which we never knew we had until we heard the song. I always wonder how he comes up with many of them (like 'when the sunbeams kiss the sky' or 'we'd like to take life over again' or you just pick one)

There is one lyric that I believe I know the origin of:

the lyric 'if you see me on the TV talking proud' in 14K Gold is actually from a former Buffalo Bills(NFL Football Team) chant song which was all over Buffalo television at the time he wrote 14k Gold. I know Gordon, at least, used to watch the TV stations in Buffalo from his home in Toronto because he has commented at concerts about a local weatherman named Kevin O'Connell.

Besides the obvious ones (like EF) does anyone have any theories about the origin of any other lyrics?

And always remember the wisdom of LAMS and Stay loose, eh?

Dan

Rob Wells
05-18-2000, 04:19 PM
Dan,

Here's one I passed along a few months ago, but you'd have to do too much digging to find it. The song Beautiful was actually written as a Thank You to the audience. But,
in Gord's own words, and I quote directly, "When I got down to the line 'And when I hold you tight', I turned it into another F---in' love song." Pretty funny, huh?

Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited May 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited May 18, 2000).]